The Third Day, The Frost (1996)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (3)

Ellie and her friends, a small band of teenagers trying to survive in the Australian countryside, continue to resist the enemies who have invaded their country.

About half way through this novel I started to wonder if I would continue the series. The third instalment seemed to be taking a very similar path to the previous two and it felt as though Marsden was sticking to a tried and true formula. However the last quarter of the book really diverges from where you might expect it to go and hooked me back in.

One of Marden's greatest strengths as a writer is that he isn't afraid to write his teenage characters as teenagers. With the exception of their daring (and perhaps somewhat unrealistic) adventures they feel true to life. The last half of the book is the perfect showcase for this. The characters are tested in a new way and it would be the easy for a writer to fall back on the trope of tough talking witty teenage heroes. Instead we see these characters fumble and act in a way that is no doubt human but also adolescent.

There are a lot of great emotional beats throughout the course of this novel but the last two chapters are perhaps the best. It felt inevitable that not all the main OG characters would make it out alive this time but I was still surprised when the time came. Robyn's sacrifice feels so true to her character but it is nonetheless heartbreaking and unexpected. Ellies description of the look on her face in this chapter and the epilogue is awful and poignant.

My biggest complaint is of the epilogue simply because I think Marsden utilises "...weeks/days/months later" too often and skips over events that would be great content and character wise. ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
These books are nigh on impossible to put down. So addictive.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
The third book in the Tomorrow Series, this book follows Ellie and her friends as they attempt their biggest attack against the invaders yet. This is another action filled book, and although I thought originally that it was the end of the series, it turns out there are more and I"m interested to see where the group goes after this.
  GretchenLynn | Jan 30, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

It's been years since I read the Tomorrow series, but A Killing Frost is the book that stayed with me the most as it sort of broke my heart. Their plans are getting bolder and more thrilling, but they will also find out that these things are not without consequences.

As a kid I liked this series a lot. I would like to re-read them sometime to see if they can stand the time. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
En nog steeds is het land bezet door een vreemde mogendheid.

Het gaat de groep tieners steeds zwaarder vallen, deze bezetting, Hun guerrilla activiteiten worden ook steeds driester, maar ook hun gezondheid staat op het spel. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dougherty, SuziNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The third day comes a frost, a killing frost... - King Henry VIII, William Shakespeare
'The third day comes a frost, a killing frost...'
King Henry VIII, William shakespeare
To my sister and long-time friend, Rosalind Alexander - J.M.
Tom my sister and long-time friend,
Rosalind Alexander
Sometimes I think I'd rather be frightened than bored.
You have to believe in something. That’s all.
Originally published in Australia as The Third Day, The Frost. Republished in the US as 'A Killing Frost.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,771,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible