Old Bones by Aaron Elkins

Old Bones (1987)

by Aaron Elkins

This winner of the 1987 Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Mystery of the Year is back in print. When an old skeleton is found beneath the floor of the du Rocher estate, American skeleton detective Dr. Gideon Oliver is called in to uncover the secrets behind the bones.

History, France, Forensic Anthropology All In One Masterpiece
June 29, 2019
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Aaron Elkins delivers another stellar whodunit with twists and fascinating history and science all blended into one great read. I couldn’t put it down! It got to be 4:30 am and I finally had to put it down to sleep because I kept dropping it on my face. So I finished it AS SOON as I woke up.
Great writing, fascinating plots, lovable characters, all are here, folks. Read this book! You will not be sorry. ( )
  chibitika | Aug 17, 2019 |
Great setting... ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 1, 2018 |
My favorite Gideon Oliver mystery. Well worth the price. Elkins' Oliver books are classic mysteries and enjoyable. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
Gideon Oliver is a forensic anthrolpologist who is giving a lecture to law enforcement officials in France. When some old bones turn up in the cellar of a house Inspector Joly who is in the class asks Gideon and his FBI friend John Lau to help with the investigation. Then one of the people staying inthe hosue where the bones were found is murdered. An interesting mystery with a glimpse into French police techniques. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Physical anthropologist Gideon Oliver's fame as the “skeleton detective” has earned him an invitation to speak at a conference in France on Science and Detection. When skeletal remains are discovered in the jurisdiction of one of the conference attendees, Dr. Oliver is asked to provide an expert opinion on the case. He's surprised to learn that the discovery occurred at a home he had visited with a former colleague a few years earlier, and that his colleague was there for a family reunion of sorts. The reunion has turned tragic after the drowning death of the home's owner just days earlier. The skeletal remains and the family history both seem to point to something that happened during the German occupation of World War II. At least one member of the household doesn't want Gideon to figure out what happened all those years ago.

This book has many of my favorite mystery elements – family history, academics, and an exotic location. There's even a little bit of romance. There were plenty of twists and turns to the mystery, and although I correctly guessed the answer to some of the puzzles, I was just ahead of Oliver and the police. I missed Oliver's wife, Julie, who didn't travel with him this time, but I enjoyed his camaraderie with his friend, John, an FBI agent who was attending the conference. With books set in travel destinations like England, France, and Mexico, this series has a lot of appeal for armchair travelers like me. It's great vacation reading. ( )
2 vote cbl_tn | Jul 21, 2013 |
So still and silent was the fog-wreathed form that it might have been an angular, black boulder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,811,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible