Backlash: The Undeclared War Against Women (1991)

by Susan Faludi

Winner of the National Book Critics Circle award  for nonfiction, this controversial,  thought-provoking, and timely book is "as groundbreaking as  Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex  and Betty Friedan's The Feminine  Mystique." -- Newsweek.
    The Mismeasure of Woman by Carol Tavris (tafergus70)
    tafergus70: The author provides a balanced, academic background that helps readers understand Faludi’s voluminous book.

English (20)  French (1)  All languages (21)
I read the original version of this book in college. I gathered all my courage afterwards and stuck it in a bag of books for my mom, hoping she would read it and magically turn into a feminist. Alas, it did not work. BUT she did accidentally read half of the book before she decided it was too "college-y". ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
Not bailing because it's bad or not worth the read. Quite the contrary, I think this is a very important book, and I really like the way Faludi approaches the topic. But I was in college in the mid-90s, taking women's studies courses and marching in Take Back the Night rallies, and this book gets me grouchy about how slow progress is. I don't feel like being grouchy, but maybe it's a good one to show my teenager.
  ImperfectCJ | Mar 28, 2021 |
I didn't expect to read all this book. Released in 1992, I figured that it would be an interesting historical document but I'd eventually tire of outdated gender politics and move on, but I never did. Gripping and depressing, this book covered the world that my generation came to maturity in and I could revel in a kind of morbid nostalgia. But there was plenty to learn too - I hadnt thought about waves of emancipation and backlash, nor had I previously access to such compelling statistics and stories to illustrate the successes of both feminism and anti-feminism. Incredibly well paced and laid out, every section reveals another part of the big picture of angophonic misogyny and the hypocrisies and brutalities of the woman-hating right. The section where we are introduced to the men and women of the American right and how mostly they expect feminism for themselves but not other women, or tolerate feminism in their families where they deny it to others. Funny but sad. Finally we meet some women whose company forced them to get sterilised to keep their jobs, then sacked them anyway, and we learn about how justice was denied to them. It leaves you sad and angry, as it should. Of course, the people who need to read this book probably didn't read it. Really needs a 2020 update! ( )
  elahrairah | Oct 1, 2020 |
What I loved most about this book was the characters. Lily is smart, sassy and courageous in the face of danger and Chase is a gorgeous, dedicated cop with a scarred past and a tortured soul. He also happens to be the one ex-lover Lily never really got over. Can they overcome their past and admit their love?

Action-packed throughout with a compelling, addictive love story – I couldn't put it down until I turned the final page.
  Joanne.Brothwell | Oct 20, 2013 |
i read this in my first women's studies course and was super passionate about it at the time. interesting... though i've come to feel that some of her arguments are a tad exaggerated. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |

Faludi, SusanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bly, RobertExcerptedsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burgess, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, JoanPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother Marilyn Lanning Faludi
To be a woman at the close of the twentieth century - what good fortune.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,231,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible