Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

Green Angel (2003)

by Alice Hoffman

Haunted by grief and by her past after losing her family in a fire, fifteen-year-old Green retreats into her ruined garden as she struggles to survive emotionally and physically on her own.

(First book I refused to put down - even for sleep)
Wonderful and captivating story of a girl that is alone. Filled with a lot of imagery (portrayed through the text).
  Jennifer.Russell | Sep 16, 2019 |
I read this book for the first time when I was around thirteen or fourteen, and it gutted me in the most satisfying way. For such a short novel, it is incredibly impactful, and gorgeously written, full of so much emotion and eloquence as to move between being prose and poetry seamlessly. A beautiful novel for a young adult.

Until just now when I searched the title to review it, I didn't know it was a series! Green Angel unto itself is a satisfying standalone, that leave the reader in a slightly bruised and cathartic state, but with hope for the future before the main character. I am excited to track down the other installments and see that future finally become flesh! ( )
  Samberry | Aug 3, 2019 |
Allegorical tale of a 15 yr old who survived in the family's rural home after the rest of the family perished in the city explosion. She chooses a path of remembering her pain rather than one of trying to lose herself in forgetting, as a nearby group of young adults does.
Hoffman uses her usual imagery of magical realism, but I could comprehend it better as allegory. ( )
  juniperSun | Feb 2, 2019 |
For the most part this was an ok book. Defiantly different than most post-apocalyptic scenario, it was from a child's point of view. An easy read, although it was one that is for a lower reading level I just went back and read some of the books on my shelf. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I must be a lone dissenter. Although the writing in this spare story is hauntingly beautiful, the story itself did not appeal to me. Perhaps just a matter of taste, or perhaps I'm just weak on picking up themes and symbolism. Green Angel felt like a book I would have been assigned to read in high school, but never really understood. ( )
  fingerpost | Oct 12, 2018 |

Is contained in

This is how it happened: I once believed that life was a gift.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible