Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

Green Angel (2003)

by Alice Hoffman

"Green Angel" is a lyrical, beautifully written story that is full of imagery. Hoffman's simple prose creates a gentle, whimsical, almost fairytale, atmosphere despite the tragedy that Green faces when she loses her parents and younger sister in a tragic accident. Full of emotion, the reader follows Green's journey as she struggles with her grief and loneliness, and it is impossible not to feel her devastating sense of loss and pain.

However, it is also a story of hope and renewal. While this book will not appeal to everyone, I was surprised how deeply it moved me. A haunting story about a young girl's search for healing. ( )
  HeatherLINC | May 3, 2018 |
Beautiful story of grief, loss, and finding yourself again. ( )
  Sarahliz2182 | Jun 30, 2017 |
A slim volume that tells the death and rebirth of a world through the eyes of the a young girl. Its a fairy tale - at times, very modern, at other times, very old.

Green is left at home to tend to the farm, while the city, with her her family, is completely destroyed. Green is left to pick up the pieces, loosing herself, than reinventing herself. Its a story that is simple, but deep. What does one do to survive in a world that has been changed completely? ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Feb 18, 2017 |
After the conflagration that kills Green's family, she turns inward, hiding behind a shield of homemade tattoos, and a jacket of thorns. The appearance at her home of a greyhound and later a mute boy she names Diamond, and an older neighbor help draw Green out of her grief. Story follows the stages of grief. Setting seems contemporary but fused with a sense of fantasy and fairy tale.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I happened to stumble upon this treasure while browsing the teen shelves at my library last week. This is a short read but the illustrations are lovely and the subject really hit home. I've heard that Alice Hoffman is an excellent storyteller and I am glad to have finally read something by her. I really enjoyed the story and the character. I felt so sad for her & I could relate to how she dealt with her grief. I love that this story reminds readers that life doesn't always go as planned but it is important to not lose yourself in your circumstance or situation but instead rediscover who you really are. The story also did not end like a fairytale or happy ending and I appreciated that. This is part one of a two book series and I am looking forward to reading book 2. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
This is how it happened: I once believed that life was a gift.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439443857, Mass Market Paperback)

The startling, universally acclaimed breakthrough YA novel from master bestselling author Alice Hoffman, now in paperback.

Left on her own when her family dies in a terrible disaster, fifteen-year-old Green is haunted by loss and by the past. Struggling to survive physically and emotionally in a place where nothing seems to grow and ashes are everywhere, Green retreats into the ruined realm of her garden. But in destroying her feelings, she also begins to destroy herself, erasing the girl she'd once been as she inks darkness into her skin. It is only through a series of mysterious encounters that Green can relearn the lessons of love and begin to heal enough to tell her story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:18 -0400)

Haunted by grief and by her past after losing her family in a fire, fifteen-year-old Green retreats into her ruined garden as she struggles to survive emotionally and physically on her own.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,014,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible