Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Curse of the Spellmans

by Lisa Lutz

1,220789,520 (4.04)59
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same quirky funny, and women are central

Great series. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
This was not nearly as good as the first book....disappointment. ( )
  LadyVivace | Jul 13, 2018 |
Is there anything as delightfully hilarious as The Spellmans series? I'm really not sure, but I'd be willing to bet that it'd be hard to come by. The second installation of the The Spellman's expands upon the last one. Restraining orders are filed, Rae almost accidentally manslaughters her best friend (yes, that is redundant), 'disappearance' is given a new meaning and there is a lot of Doctor Who. A lot of Doctor Who.

The obsessions of the first book are drawn out, and reframed. All the hilarity that made the first book such a prize turned up in the second, and then got even better. Honestly, this book was a true delight to read. I can't wait to get my hands on the rest. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
After her fourth arrest [which she considers a job hazard], Isabel Spellman is on the outs with her parents and sister, all of whom are part of the family private investigation business. There are many strange goings-on with the members of the Spellman family: Izzy’s mother is sneaking out at odd hours and vandalizing a motorbike, Rae has latched onto Henry Stone as her new best friend, and her father is acting even stranger than usual.

But Izzy has her own problems. Someone is recreating her teenage acts of vandalism involving holiday decorations in a retired teacher’s front yard. And, to complicate her life even further, the new next-door neighbor, a man named John Brown is, in her opinion, acting quite strangely. Why would he have a room in his house that is always locked? What is he hiding? Perpetually suspicious Izzy sets out to solve the mystery. But will she be able to discover the man’s secret or will she end up needing that octogenarian lawyer friend of hers to keep her out of jail?

The Spellman shenanigans and madcap escapades provide readers with plenty of chuckles. The laugh-out-loud moments continue and there is an unfolding mystery concerning John Brown and Izzy’s suspicions. The dysfunctional Spellman family members are the highlight of this fast-paced narrative. With Izzy again relating the hilarious doings, readers who appreciate zany goings-on and absurd hijinks, all in the name of discovering the truth, are likely to fall in love with the delightfully ditzy Spellman clan.

Second in a series, this delightful narrative holds up as well as the first. The Spellman Mystery Series continues in four more volumes of entertaining family hijinks. And the laughing continues.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Nov 6, 2017 |
Easy to follow and did not feel as chaotic as the first one. Author deftly juggled multiple events without it getting confusing. Although this was the second book, it was clear enough to be a standalone. Usually when I read a sequel and it was some time ago, there will be some points where I'll go "What happened again in the first one?" But this one laid everything out.

Yay for character development. I like how Izzy is still obviously flawed but she's *learning*, you know? She's trying to figure things out, like the rest of us. That made her more relatable and therefore I feel more inclined to join her on the rest of her misadventures, even if I suspect it'll get even crazier.

And, well, Doctor Who! The ninth is also my favorite. Sorry, Rae.

I loved Henry. He is the new Daniel, but who stuck it out far longer. Olivia Spellman still has the best quotes though.

I'm really enjoying this kind of story, which doesn't neatly fit into one genre. (I love how it includes, aside from "detective", "domestic fiction" as a category.) Feels like a less wacky Stephanie Plum without the overt pandering to readers using steamy Ranger/Morelli moments. Not that I don't enjoy some nice sexual tension, but I rather like that it feels less of a guilty pleasure and more... respectable? I'd say family-friendly, but if you've met the Spellmans you'd soon rethink your definitions.

Would recommend to anybody, regardless of which genres they are used to reading. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
For Stephanie Kip Rostan & Marysue Rucci
"Hello?"

Izzy struggles to retain her private investigator's license after her fourth arrest., David's marriage to Petra, and Rae's teenage angst.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,952,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible