Cunt: A Declaration of Independence by Inga…

Cunt: A Declaration of Independence (1998)

by Inga Muscio

Other authors: Betty Dodson (Foreword)

Excellent book, but she's really pissed off. I get tired of that brand of feminism sometimes. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
This is a pretty important book for a cisgendered heterosexual woman.

For everyone else...not so much.

The entire architecture of the book hinges on belief in the myth of binary gender. The second edition of the book has an updated chapter addressing the erasure of transgender people in the original edition. But it is apparent that Muscio isn't available to provide the measure of advice and resources for transgender women as she is for cisgender women. I recommend it, but think critically about what might be missing in messages of empowerment. ( )
  Jan.Coco.Day | May 28, 2017 |
I couldn't finish this book because of the strange notes about including men when talking about women's bodies. Men don't have vulvas and so I see no need to include them. I don't want to read a book that starts out with an apology. ( )
  SonoranDreamer | Jan 8, 2017 |
I read this book in college, when I was still gung-ho about things. Years later, I've become conditioned to society in some ways, and I'm not as radical as I used to be. I appreciate this book for the way it didn't knock prostitution - while I don't agree with glorifying prostitutes as goddesses with some secret knowledge of womanhood, it's better than the majority of pop culture, which seems to hate women entirely.

I also found the chapter on abortions intriguing. Most of the stories I'd read about it, up until that point, were I think deliberately vague about the procedure, because they didn't want to scare people into becoming anti-choice. I thought her story of herbal abortion was good. I'm from Wisconsin, where Planned Parenthood has just been denied funding by Governor Scott Walker, and I think it would be healthier if women knew about herbal abortions. Instead of punching themselves in the stomach or trying to drink/drug the baby out of themselves, they could look up the necessary herbs, and then just do it at home without damaging their bodies. ( )
  heart77 | Dec 13, 2016 |

Originally posted here

I have no doubt that this book inspired some people whilst reading. I am not one of those people. Inga Muscio's particular style of feminism is unique to say the least. Sadly, there is not much to offer anyone who does not subscribe to the 'Goddess' or rejects anything written, invented or created by men. I am sure I am not alone in saying that I do not want to use a washable sea sponge as an alternative to a tampon and I definitely do not want to swap adhesive pads for a 'blood towel' tied around my waist.

There are a few good points raised by Muscio that were interesting and thought provoking but on the whole I found her radical feminism a bit aggressive and dated. The idea that an enlightened woman should not use any form of contraception apart from condoms (because they are made by men for men so are okay), and then subsequently 'will' away unwanted pregnancies is just insanity. The graphic description of the author's abortions nauseated me badly and I wish I was given a warning beforehand.

In the revised second edition, there is a massive info dump at the end where Muscio attempts to include all of the social issues that have ever existed that she forgot to mention in the first edition of her book. The origin and etymology of the word 'cunt' is never really explored or addressed satisfactorily which is a shame because that could have been fascinating. A disappointing and bizarre read, I don't recommend it. ( )
  4everfanatical | Apr 26, 2016 |

Inga Muscioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dodson, BettyForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In Loving Dedication:

To everyone with a cunt

Especially, She who persuaded me from Hers:

my Sacred Mother

I thank you for giving me life.

"For most of its life the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has led a fairly conservative existence. However, since the early 1980s the economy has experienced financial and market deregulation and general economic liberalisation. The RBA has been caught up with the turbulent policy debates that have ensued." "Australia's Money Mandarins tells the story of the RBA over the past two decades. It discusses how the Bank operated in the new political environment created by deregulation and the fight against inflation. It describes the conflicts with the government and the Department of Treasury, and how the bank dealt with the rough and tumble of politics and managed to assert a level of independence in the 1990s. Including frank interviews with key figures like Bob Johnston, Bernie Fraser, Ian Macfarlane and Paul Keating, this book will appeal to anyone with an interest in the politics of money."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,765,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible