Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and…

Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White (1985)

by Joseph Lelyveld

An outsider's fairly accurate look at South Africa in the 1980s, telling it like it was in the apartheid era. ( )
  hayesstw | Apr 8, 2006 |
Wena azi lo golof? Mina hayifuna lo mampar mfan. Have you caddied before? I don't want a useless boy. Tata lo saka gamina. Take my bag of clubs. Tata mabol, yena doti. Susa yena nga lo manzi. These balls are dirty. Clean them with water. Muhle wena tula loskati lo-mlungu ena beta lo bol. You must be quiet when my partner plays a shot. Tula! Be quiet. Noko wena lahlega lo futi bol, hayikoni mali. If you lose another ball, there will be no tip for you. Susa lo-mtunzi gawena. Hayikona shukumisa lo saka. Move your shadow. Don't rattle the bag. - J.D. Bold, Fanagalo Phrase Book, Grammar and Dictionary, the Lingua Franca of Southern Africa, 10th edition, 1977
I can tell you the things that happened as I saw them, and what the rest were about only Africa knows. - Herman Charles Bosman, Mafeking Road
For Carolyn
When they are out to demonstrate their decency and goodwill, to themselves as well as others, white South Africa's racial theorists are inclined to lose themselves in a riot of euphemisms, analogies, and fatuous forecasts.

"Extraordinary...unlike any other book about South Africa."-The New York Times Book Review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible