The Skin I'm In by Sharon Flake

The Skin I'm In (1998)

by Sharon Flake

Thirteen-year-old Maleeka, uncomfortable because her skin is extremely dark, meets a new teacher with a birthmark on her face and makes some discoveries about how to love who she is and what she looks like.

Maleeka is in seventh grade and deals with bullies giving her a hard time about her clothes (sewn by her mother after her father's death) and her dark skin. Even her best "friend" Char is trouble, but Maleeka keeps her head down because Char's attention and changes of clothes are all that keep her from being picked on even more. But then a teacher with a light patch on her face who also draws the kids' attention takes an interest in Maleeka. Will she be able to fit in her own skin and stand up to the bullies?

Though the book originally came out over 20 years ago, its themes of accepting yourself and standing up for what's right are just as relevant as ever. Maleeka's doubt, fear, and gradual growth unfold naturally in the course of this quiet, character-driven story. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 23, 2019 |
Great lessons on accecpting who you are ( )
  lindamamak | Jul 1, 2018 |
Enjoyable, though it hits a bit too close to home. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 1, 2018 |
This story is the story of a girl that just doesn't feel like she fits in; a story that many girls Maleeka's age can relate to. Flake tells the story of a girl who is taught to be comfortable in her own body and teaches her readers how they can do the same through Maleeka's story. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
I absolutely love this book! The raw truth that lies within the pages of this book is heart wrenching. So many kids go through what Maleeka experiences throughout the book and they have no way to escape their fate that has been chosen for them, but since Maleeka has that guidance she didn't know was there, she defies the odds and so many black and brown girls will be able to see themselves in that. ( )
  jazminejackson | Sep 27, 2017 |
Skin I'm In
By: Sharon G. Flake

The book the ''Skin I'm In'' is a great book for all readers who love twist and turns in just one story. Maleeka is the main character in this story who goes through the difficulty's many young teenagers face in life. She has experienced low self esteem because her skin tone, clothes and popularity in school. In this story Maleeka has overall learned that being her self and loving herself for who she is will get her farther in life.
In the story Maleeka gets involved with girls who use her and pushes her in to bad situations in exchange for clothes, friendship and popularity. In the end like every good ending she finds a way to accept her self and others.

ps. Great Book read
added by gongora | editms.dickey student, Gongora Shanice

The first time I seen her, I got a bad feeling inside. Not like I was in danger or nothing. Just like she was somebody I should stay clear of.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,858,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible