Point Counter Point (1928)

by Aldous Huxley

Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.

English (16)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (21)
Character #1 would say I think A. Character #2 would say I disagree I think B.

Character #3 would say I think C. Character #4 would say I disagree I think D.

Point.

Counterpoint.

sigh... ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
A novel, handled very competently by Huxley, This is a satiric and often funny novel of London society in the mid to late twenties. I could contrast this with the longer novel by Anthony Powell, “A dance to the music of time.” If you like the English in moments of disorder this is a good read. Finished Feb.19, 1971 ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 25, 2018 |
5 stars for the writing but I can't say it's an enjoyable read. Huxley dissects every personality until they appear gruesome and every philosophy as false comfort and there's not much left in the end. Grim but extraordinary. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
A busca por uma nova ordem, as dificuldades de rompimento com o passado.

Considerado por muitos como a obra-prima de Huxley, Contraponto não tem uma estrutura literária convencional. O autor foi buscar na música clássica, especificamente na suite 2 de Bach, uma nova forma de posicionar o texto. E o resultado alcançado é impressionante: o texto flui como em uma música, com rompantes de raiva e paixão e às vezes calmo e relaxante ou depressivo e melancólico.

Não existe protagonista: diálogos complexos carregados de argumentos sucedem-se nos capítulos, apresentando personagens bem distintos, suas formas de pensar, seus objetivos e o que os faz continuar vivendo sãos (ou quase) em um mundo tão diverso. ( )
  Binderman | Aug 16, 2014 |
I cannot recall too much of this book. Even reading a summary, hasn't brought it back to me. It wasn't that long ago, so I'm assuming it wasn't memorable enough. I may have given it a "B" when I had first finished it, but, if I can't recall it now, I cannot be impressed with it. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |

Huxley, AldousAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kauffer, Edward McKnightCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mosely, NicholasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound,
Vainly begot and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound.
What meaneth nature by these diverse laws,
Passion and reason, self-division's cause?

Fulke Greville
'You won't be late?'

Legacy Library: Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Aldous Huxley's legacy profile.

See Aldous Huxley's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,901,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible