The Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn Keene

The Bungalow Mystery

by Carolyn Keene

Series: Nancy Drew (3)

Here is a Nancy Drew book that shouldn't have been touched by the revisions. This is the daring, pushy girl detective we all know and love without any racism. When it comes to vintage Nancy I'm OK with the class-snobbery as long as its funny. Unfortunately, I know that there's no racism in here only because every character is white, but I'll take the victory. The significant changes made to this text later were all to make Nancy more of a model citizen and lady.

'The Bungalow Mystery' starts with a dramatic scene where Nancy and her friend Helen are caught in a storm and their boat sinks. Helen is a terrible swimmer and exhausts Nancy by flailing around while being saved. The two are rescued by a girl in rowboat who heard their cries for help. On dry land she relates to them that she is a recent orphan and has misgivings about meeting her new legal guardian for the first time.

The mystery centers on Laura Pendleton and her guardian Jacob Aborn. Laura's mother had left her a comfortable fortune, but she is informed by her guardian, who is rude and makes her act the servant, that she is almost penniless because of business things. She runs away and begs for Nancy's help.

Nancy jets around in her blue roadster, going so fast the car starts shaking, she breaks into houses and with only a smidge of caution follows suspects alone. In the course of the investigation her father becomes involved and though she listens to his cautions to stay safe and allows her father, eventually, take the lead in car chases when danger is present the girl detective sometimes ignores dad and behaves recklessly.

This is great, great stuff. This is the volume to give to a young reader who wants a taste of the real Nancy Drew without worrying about any problematic elements. The danger? Pfft. Any modern mg or ya book will have loads more issues than dashing towards a burning vehicle. Nancy Drew gets her man, every. time.

Nancy Drew Mysteries

Next: 'The Mystery at Lilac Inn'

Previous: 'The Hidden Staircase' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Apr 22, 2019 |
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
*Duplicate Copy* I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. Anytime my mom and I would go to antique stores, we'd peruse the Nancy Drews and add them to the collection (oftentimes my mom had to make deals with me on how many I could buy). So, while I don't remember the exact details of each and every one, the entire series was amazing and really fed my love for reading (especially novels full of suspense and mystery). Thank you, Carolyn Keene, for giving us an intelligent female character to fall in love with in Nancy Drew! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
THE BUNGALOW MYSTERY was the third book in the series, and it and those that followed presented its heroine as a rich, headstrong, and distinctly reckless teenager who sometimes carried a pistol and who wasn't above breaking the law when it suited her purposes.
As the series progressed and other writers began to generate Nancy Drew novels, the character changed and Nancy was "toned down;" instead of flatly rich, she became reasonably affluent; recklessness was replaced by commonsense caution; and while she might be willing to bend the law a bit she would never knowingly break it. In the 1950s and 1960s the earlier novels were re-written to reflect this change in character.
THE BUNGALOW MYSTERY opens with Nancy and friend Helen aboard a small boat--which begins to sink in a sudden storm. Helen is hurt, and although Nancy is a strong swimmer they are soon in danger of their lives. Fortunately, they are rescued by Laura, a recently orphaned teenager who is in the area to meet her new guardians. Nancy soon becomes suspicious of Laura's guardians and determines to investigate the matter; at the same time her father, attorney Carson Drew, is investigating the theift of bonds from a local bank. As is the way of Nancy Drew stories, these two plots soon link, and Nancy finds herself facing a ruthless gang of kidnappers and con artists. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 21, 2017 |
First edition
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carlson, P. M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[1959 edition] “Look at those black storm clouds!” Nancy Drew pointed out to her friend, Helen Corning, who was seated beside her in the bow of the small red motorboat.

Nancy believes her friend’s guardians are trying to steal her inheritance. As she investigates, she has a perilous experience near the deserted bungalow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:39 -0400)

While trying to help a friend out of a difficulty, teenage detective Nancy Drew has a perilous experience in and around a deserted bungalow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,582,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible