The Science of Philip Pullman's His Dark…

The Science of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials

by Mary Gribbin, John Gribbin (Author)

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is renowned for its mystery and magic. What's the truth behind it all? Is the golden compass actually based in science? How does the subtle knife cut through anything? Could there be a bomb like the one made with Lyra's hair? How do the Gallivespians' lodestone resonators really work? And, of course, what are the Dark Materials? Drawing on string theory and spacetime, quantum physics and chaos theory, award-winning science writers Mary and John Gribbin reveal the real science behind Philip Pullman's bestselling fantasy trilogy in entertaining and crystal-clear prose.… (more)

A quick read, written in an easily accessible style. The authors discuss the scientific basis behind the fantasy trilogy, and the theories that informed the book. A bit heavy on physics; there was almost no other science mentioned, though biology does have some play in this book. They touched briefly on the evolution of the wheeled creatures, but didn't even discuss some of the biological problems that were solved by the author in the technique he chose. The explanations of string theory were well written, and one of the better I've seen that make it more accessible to the layman; plus they do a reasonably good job of explaining the connection between the particles without dipping into metaphysical nonsense. My one complaint is that the title is misleading; it really should be The Physics of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials; I was really hoping for a more balanced discussion, and one that recognizes other sciences besides physics - you know, like Chemistry and Biology. Otherwise, a fun and interesting read. ( )
1 vote Devil_llama | Nov 23, 2013 |
A very basic introduction to quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, evolution, and other concepts from Philip Pullman's trilogy written at a late elementary/early middle school level. I didn't realize this book was meant for children when I picked it up so I was disappointed by the lack of depth, especially since I was already familiar with most of the science explained. The book really only skims the surface of each concept. Still, it's a worthwhile read for fans of His Dark Materials who have little to no knowledge about these topics and want to understand the series in (slightly) more depth. ( )
1 vote serrulatae | Mar 31, 2013 |
I can see how this book would be interesting to some people, but for me it was just not worth struggling through. There are two problems with this book for me: 1) I'm not that into Philip Pullman and 2) I'm not that into science. I suppose I shouldn't have bothered to pick this book because of those two reasons, but it came highly recommended by friends. I found that if you are not thoroughly into Philip Pullman then you tend to be a little lost at times. There are parts that you have to know from reading his books. They don't give you much of explaining the book parts that they are using when talking about the science. The science part was very interesting. The theories were talked about in depth. It would be fascinating to someone that cared about that sort of thing. I'm just not that type of person. ( )
  Kaydence | Feb 28, 2010 |
Fascinating book. I'm not sure how much of it I understood, but I was intrigued the entire time I was reading! ( )
  AngelaB86 | Oct 1, 2007 |

Gribbin, Maryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gribbin, JohnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pullman, PhilipIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,713,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible