Chasing the Dime (2002)

by Michael Connelly

Henry Pierce enters a world of escorts, websites, sex, and secret passions when he investigates the messages left on his new telephone "Where is Lilly? This is her number. It's on the site." He leaves behind his company, the fund-raising "chasing the dime" and a life driven by work to track down and help a woman he has never met. In the process he becomes the victim of astonishing violence, the chief suspect in a murder case, and fighting for his life against forces he can barely discern… (more)

English (42)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
This was an intriguing story and I enjoyed reading it. I liked how the main character felt responsible enough to attempt to get involved even though he didn't have to. ( )
  Ambie-Wan | Jan 10, 2021 |
Great mystery! ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
Connelly is one of the few writers I can think of who never loses quality whether it's a series book or a non-series. Any book with his name on it is a guaranteed excellent read. This one is no different. Start up entrepreneur and scientist Henry Pierce gets a new phone in the apartment he has to rent when his wife throws him out. The new phone number, obviously belonged to a very busy prostitute before he got it. Why in the world would someone who's business is dependant on a specific telephone number just abandon it? ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
This is my least favorite Connelly book- it seemed to take forever to get into it and I at times was confused. I understood the lab to be working on some new computer type project and then they were discussing medical advancements and I felt that he wrapped everything up in the last few chapters and crammed all together quickly. I also felt there was a lot left unanswered as well. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Every 20 or so pages I was tempted to throw this away, such was my frustration with the sheer stupidity of the lead character. Hard to believe this is written by the author of the outstanding Harry Bosch series. ( )
  DrJohnD | Aug 1, 2018 |
It doesn't have the urgency of his best work, but it also avoids his tendency to work in one plot twist too many until the plausibility of his story falls to bits... Still, "Chasing the Dime" is well-plotted and it holds your interest, and it's easy to picture the book's high-tech shenanigans translating well to the screen.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Charles Taylor (Nov 14, 2002)

Connelly, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lonza, GiannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Holly Wilkinson
The voice on the phone was a whisper.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 044661162X, 1594833303, 1586214500

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,022,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible