The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J.…

The Daring Book for Girls (2007)

by Andrea J. Buchanan, Miriam Peskowitz

1,119157,372 (3.9)15

I didn't read every word of this - after all I'm an adult with a disability and I won't be playing basketball or doing cartwheels any time soon. But I read enough to know that I would have loved this as a girl. What a variety of games, crafts, chants, tidbits from history & other courses, poems, a reading list, 'how-tos' for athletics, etc. etc.! Told with the voice of a favorite aunt. I recommend it as a gift to a girl age 7-10, as there's both stuff she can do now, and stuff she'll grow into. I'm going to let my hair grow out so I can get it up with a chopstick. And right now I'm off to add some of the recommended books to my 'to-read' shelf!
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Book: The Daring Book for Girls
Author: Miriam Peskowitz
Characters: None
Setting: Not applicable
Theme: Adventures/ imagination and building
Genre: How to. . .
Audience: ages 8 +
Curriculum: A teacher can use some of these activities for students to get them excited and actively learning something new so long as they can find the activity relevant to the lesson plan. For example, there's a section on traveling to Africa and there's a map with small captions about each country.
Summary: Book is intended to use to have activities and fun using imagination, creating their own adventure and having in the process of learning.
Personal Response: This is a really cute book with lots of stuff to do and with illustrations that also seem to add to the context. Some images help more than others but they break up the blocks of text to help keep the attention of the reader. ( )
  Je2nif4 | Apr 13, 2013 |
Everything a girl needs to know and some fun things to know.... A young girl can lean how to make ivy chains, bandana tying, make her own paper climbing, write letters,knots and stitches and how to press flowers...along with about 75 other really awesome things to do or learn... A must for any girl.. ( )
  denisa.howe | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is for the older girls crowd, around age 9. It is a book about activities for girls, looking into the mind of what boys might be thinking when they like you and all sorts of other things that interest girls. It also tells them naet techniques that they could use for different things.

I liked the book. It wasnt my favorite but I thought that it was cute and that girls the appropriate ages would really enjoy it. I wish I had it to read when I was that age anyway.

I think this could be used in a classroom when learning about the difference between girls and guys. I also think that it would be a good book to have the girls all read together when they are learning how to express themselves and going through the stages of changing and growing up.
  BriannaCrawford | Nov 28, 2011 |
The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J. Buchanan and Miriam Peskowitz is a great nonfiction book. This book is a girls how-to guide over pretty much everything. This book gives rules to sports such as basketball and softball, shows how to tie knots, fold a shirt Japanese style, and make a seine net.
This is a book I would have loved as a young girl. I can’t wait till my girls are big enough to enjoy it.
There is also a boy’s version to this book I would have the students read all or parts of both books. I would have them make observations about whether the parts in the book are generally for one sex or the other. Then as a class we would try a few things in the books. ( )
  mmuncy | Dec 5, 2010 |

Andrea J. Buchananprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peskowitz, Miriammain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the most daring girl I know; my grandmother Margaret Mullinix --A.B.

To my daughters, Samira and Amelia Jane --M.P.
Introduction: We were girls in the days before the Web, cell phones, or even voicemail.

The Daring Book for Girls is the manual for everything that girls need to know—and that doesn't mean sewing buttonholes! Whether it's female heroes in history, secret note-passing skills, science projects, friendship bracelets, double dutch, cats cradle, the perfect cartwheel or the eternal mystery of what boys are thinking, this book has it all. But it's not just a guide to giggling at sleepovers—although that's included, of course! Whether readers consider themselves tomboys, girly-girls, or a little bit of both, this book is every girl's invitation to adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:18 -0400)

Celebrating the idea that anything boys can do, girls can do better, a guide to adventure for girls of all ages includes such chapters as "Fourteen games of tag," "How to negotiate a salary," "Math tricks," and "Daisy chains and ivy crowns."

460 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,945,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible