Swindle by Gordon Korman

Summary: This book is about a boy named Griffen who finds a baseball card. Who then takes it to a baseball card collector to see how much it's worth, but he then find out that the man had swindled him out of a rare card that was worth more then what he had sold it for. So Griffen must steal back the card but he cannot do it alone. So he and his friend must work together and put their skill to the text to get the card back so that they can late sell it for how much it really is an then split it up evenly. Though do they get it back? read to find out.
Review: Great book i love the mystery and plot to the story. Easy reading and fun to read to students and also can be used for projects in class to see what students can do with their imagination.
Class: Can use to tech children when one should stand up for themselves and why its bad to lie.
Media: print
Grade: lateIntermediate -middle school.
Genre: Fantasy
  little_manb | Apr 10, 2017 |
When the friends are swindled out of a valuable baseball card by S. Windle, they put together a crew of friends to get it back.
Media: photos and CG ( )
  catherineparry | Apr 14, 2016 |
This review is also on my blog.
This is a fun book that I first read years ago. Since then both I and my middle school brother have read the rest of the books, more or less in order. I wouldn't call this one of my favorite books from the series, but because it's the first it's definintely fun to see where everything began. This is where the team comes together for the first time: it's their first crazy adventure, and coming back to it there's a bit of nostalgia in the air - or at least to me there is.

This is a Middle Grade series that is a lot of fun. My middle school-aged brother always sucks these books in as fast as I get ahold of them. He isn't obsessed with them or anything, but he likes them enough he'll drop a less interesting read for a day or two to read a new one. I do still get them when they ccome out, for my own reading enjoyment (I was reading them before he was!), but I don't go out of my way to snag a copy of the new books or even remember when there is a new one half the time - they just sort of pop up every now and then, and I check them out to read them.

As for this book in particular, I'm sorry I can't remember more details. I set out to review this almost a year ago after re-reading it, and forgot to actually do the writing part of writing a review. Now I, slightly neurotic, am trying to clear out my draft pile (which right now is filled with "spam-posts" that I started and never finished a long time ago). Some would point out that I could just throw out all those old half-posts by hitting the "delete" button. But nay, that would be cheating!

So here we go. Characters, lets talk about characters. I love Korman's characters. Just, you know, in general. He comes up with the funnest MCs and supporters. The Swindle books really put his talent in the best light as he draws each unique, unrealistic but oh-so-realistic character in the group. There's Logan, the aspiring actor, Savannah the animal lover, Melissa the shy computer genius, Ben the ever present sidekick, and Griffin, known as The Man with the Plan. The villains are interesting if not incredibly three-dimensional. There's the school bully who forces himself in on the plan and of course there's swindle himself who jerked Griffin out of a valuable baseball card that could save his family from having to move away.

If you like Middle Grade books, then check out this series. If you don't have time to read the entire series, then I would recommend starting with some of Korman's other books: this is a very good series, but it gets better as it goes along. If you're looking for good, funny Middle Grade book either for yourself or for a middle schooler you know, Korman is probably the best Middle Grade author I've ever read. If you have read this series and are looking for more books by him, an excellent place to start would be with Ungifted, No More Dead Dogs, or Schooled (the links go to Goodreads). You can read my review of Ungifted here. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
I had to remind myself often that I am not the target audience for this book. This is a solid 5th grade read. I did chuckle a few times while reading this book, which is always a good sign, but the idea that a group of late elementary/early middle school kids are going to execute a major heist is not believable. Oh yes, I'm not the target audience. Okay then, if you're in 4-6th grade, then you're completely on board with the idea of a kid, swindled out of a million dollar card, putting together a plan to steal it back. This book had me thinking of Home Alone quite a bit. No one questions the ability of a child to survive against criminals in those movies because it's not really the point at all. There is a slightly interesting twist to the ending, but even then Korman forgoes any real consequences for the kids' actions. Bottom line: Fun read aloud and solid pleasure read for the right age 9-12. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Rather common trope as the lynchpin on the story: an adult screws over kids because kids are idiots who are easy to use, kids prove to be clever and get their revenge. Meh. Boring. The characters were all pretty one-dimensional, never growing beyond their own notable trait. Not sure if I'll continue the series or not. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 30, 2015 |
AGERANGE: Ages 11 to 14.

Eleven-year-old Griffin Bing enlists sixth grade friends who have computer, climbing, acting, animal handling, and swindling skills to retrieve a possible million-dollar Babe Ruth baseball card from a shop owner who scammed it from Griffin for only $125. Griffin hopes that selling the card will solve his parents' financial problems brought on by his father quitting his engineering job to focus on his invention, the SmartPick, which picks fruit without bruising it. The crew sends the shop owner tickets to a hockey game and break into his house while he is gone. With the help of the SmartPick, they overcome hostile guard dogs, security systems, neighbor surveillance, and betrayal to secure the card, but Griffin must return it to its rightful owner. Eventually the card funds the building of a town museum that includes a skate park, which is dedicated to Griffin and his team, and the caper brings attention and investors to the SmartPick so that Griffin's family is financially secure. Korman's fast moving, feel-good suspense novel will have middle schoolers, especially boys, turning the pages. Griffin, "The Man With a Plan," is resourceful but believable and likeable. He needs his friends, learns from them, and makes some poor choices for good causes. He out thinks the bad guys, supports his father (the good guy), and commits a crime with which even the police sympathize. The dog cover, large print, and ample white space make it reluctant reader material. Reviewer: Lucy Schall
April 2008 (Vol. 31, No. 1)
added by sriches | editVOYA, Lucy Schall (Apr 1, 2008)

This novel by the very popular author contains all of the perfect elements of a story for middle school readers, including suspense, fully-developed characters, relevant plot, humor, and a surprise ending that is difficult to predict. The main character, Griffin Bing is the boy who always has a plan. He is also a 6th grade student who is known for his sometimes outrageous actions. One of his recent ideas is to have a sleepover in a condemned local "haunted house." While scoping out the house, Griffin discovers a very rare George Herman Ruth baseball card. This card is the key to his Griffin's new plan to save his family from their financial problems. He sells his card to a dealer for $120. Later, he discovers that he has been swindled. The dealer sold the rare card for $200,000. Griffin knows he needs a new plan. He enlists the help of his friend in his mission to get his card back. His plan is not perfect, and he and his team soon realize they must outwit a guard dog, a security system, and a secret hiding place. One more problem stands in his way: No one can drive. Readers will enjoy the page-turning adventure, the quirky characters and the revenge factor. This book is destined to become a favorite read-aloud for librarians and classroom teachers. It is a must-have for middle school libraries. Reviewer: Sue Reichard
added by sriches | editChildren's Literature, Sue Reichard

When a plan came from Griffin Bing, even the tiniest detail had to be perfect. He'd agonized over every fine point and possibility. All execpt one: What if nobody showed up?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439903459, Mass Market Paperback)

Ocean's 11 . . . with 11-year-olds, in a super stand-alone heist caper from Gordon Korman!

After a mean collector named Swindle cons him out of his most valuable baseball card, Griffin Bing must put together a band of misfits to break into Swindle's compound and recapture the card. There are many things standing in their way -- a menacing guard dog, a high-tech security system, a very secret hiding place, and their inability to drive -- but Griffin and his team are going to get back what's rightfully his . . . even if hijinks ensue.
This is Gordon Korman at his crowd-pleasing best, perfect for readers who like to hoot, howl, and heist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:24 -0400)

After unscrupulous collector S. Wendell Palamino cons him out of a valuable baseball card, sixth-grader Griffin Bing puts together a band of misfits to break into Palomino's heavily guarded store and steal the card back.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible