Songs of Innocence and of Experience by…

Songs of Innocence and of Experience (1789)

by William Blake, Robert N. Essick (Editor)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
Merecidamente, um dos 110 Melhores Livros: A Biblioteca Perfeita escolhidos em 2008 pelo jornal britânico Daily Telegraph. O livro de Blake (de 1794) contrapõe o mundo inocente e pastoral da infância a um mundo adulto de corrupção e repressão. Enquanto poemas como "O Cordeiro" representam a virtude da humildade, poemas como "The Tyger" expõem a oposição de forças as mais soturnas. A coleção, como um todo, explora os valores e limitações de duas diferentes perspectivas sobre o mundo. Muitos dos poemas vêm em pares, de modo que a mesma situação ou problema é vista através da lente primária da inocência e secundária da experiência. Blake não se identifica totalmente com esta ou aquela opinião. Sua visão reside além da inocência e da experiência, em uma posição distante da que ele conta reconhecer, e em tese corrigiu as falácias de ambas. Em particular, ele coloca-se contra a autoridade despótica, a moralidade restritiva, a repressão sexual e a religião institucionalizada. Sua percepção maior consiste em denunciar a forma como tais modos de controle separados trabalham, em conjunto, para reprimir o que há de mais sagrado nos seres humanos. Em tempo, registre-se a transdução espacializada - chamemo-la assim - de Augusto de Campos para "O Tigre". ( )
  jgcorrea | Dec 25, 2018 |
First of all, I would like to state in my defense that I picked up this slim volume days before I started freaking out about getting to 50 books by any means necessary. Ever since I catalogued my poetry shelf, I've been making an effort to get more of it read. Plus, in the story currently in my head, I'm a teacher, leading a unit on poetry. And apparently now I'm doing research for the stories I tell myself on long walks and as I fall asleep.

Yes? Well, okay. I don't know exactly what I was expecting when I first picked this up, but it certainly wasn't the poems I found in Songs of Innocence. This first volume is so excessively sweet, devoid of any hint of adult cynicism, that I felt a bit unmoored, and it actually took me days to work my way through them. It wasn't until I made it into Songs of Experience and heard the call and response between volumes that everything fell into place. Each side is illuminated and brought into relief by the other.

This volume contains what must surely be one of the most famous poems in the English language -- "The Tyger," which somehow I think I had never previously read in its entirety, though certainly I have seen its opening lines quoted often enough. Myself, I prefer "the Little Vagabond."

Worth its reputation after all, I'd have to say. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
This is another lovely illustrated edition, same edition as the Heaven and Hell one, featuring facsimiles of Blake's original illuminated version of the text. It also has the basic text printed, and some analysis. Includes The Tyger and many others, lots of them about children. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Aug 12, 2016 |
I adore this!!!

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright,
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire in thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, and what art?
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand, and what dread feet?

What the hammer? What the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright,
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?
  Natalia_Sh | Jan 14, 2016 |
My copy of William Blake's 'Songs of Innocence and of Experience' features Blake's original plates on one page and his poems typed out on the other. The pictures are strange, ornate, exquisite and the poems are poignant and beautiful, about children and nature, the Chimney Sweeper and the Echoing Green. More famous poems appear in the Songs of Experience, The Sick Rose and the Tyger. The work is visionary and shows sensitivity, depth and a great social conscience. ( )
  AmiloFinn | Jun 14, 2015 |

William Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Essick, Robert N.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Holmes, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction

"Never before surely was a man so literally the author of his own book." - Alexander Gilchrist
Piping down the valleys wild,
Piping songs of pleasant glee,
He who mocks the Infants Faith
Shall be mock'd in the Age & Death
He who shall teach the Child of Doubt
The rotting Grave shall neer get out (E492)
Blake claims that all religious beliefs, however various, have a common origin in the "Poetic Genius" (E1), the godlike spirit within all people.
A note that Blake wrote in his manuscript of "The Four Zoas" also cautions us against dismissing innocence as naivete: "Innocence dwells with Wisdom but never with Ignorance" (E697).
Contains about 150 pages commentary by Robert N. Essick. Please do not combine with other editions of Blake's work.
This version of Blake's "Songs", edited by Robert N. Essick, presents Blake's 54 colour plates from "Innocence" and "Experience" along with an Introduction, transcription and extensive commentaries by Essick as he worked from the Huntington's copy E of the "Songs" commissioned by Thomas Butts in 1806. See below: Description (ISBN 0873282361)
Visionary, artist, poet and craftsman, William Blake had a unique view of the world around him. At the age of eight he saw 'a tree filled with angels,' and his perception of beauty in a paradisiacal arcadia shines from every naïve watercolour line of his paintings. Addressed to children, his poems are still loved today - 'Little Lamb who made thee/ Dost thou know who made thee' ('Lamb').
Beauteous verses,
Voice of purity and pain,
Madman or Prophet?
(hillaryrose7)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192810898, Paperback)

Here is a beautifully illustrated edition of Blake's classic poems. The text of each poem is given in letterpress on the page facing the color plate, and a brief commentary by Sir Geoffrey Keynes on each poem follows. It is printed on paper especially manufactured to match the tint of that used by Blake.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

As both painter and poet, William Blake (1757-1827) was a powerful and visionary artist whose two early collections of poetry, Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience, contain memorable lyric verses embodying the emerging spirit of Romanticism. The two works were published together in 1794 with the subtitle, "Shewing the Two Contrary States of the Human Soul." The poems of Songs of Innocence describe childhood states of naturalness and purity in delicately beautiful lyrics that reveal a child's unspoiled and beatific view of life and human nature. In Songs of Experience the mood and tone darken, the poems suggesting the bitter corruptions and disillusionment that await the innocent. The contrast between the two sets of lyrics is perhaps at its most acute in the poems "The Lamb" and "The Tyger," the latter ultimately expressing wonderment at the seemingly paradoxical coexistence of good and evil. The full texts of all the poems in the 1794 edition of both collections are included in this volume.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible