Visions in Death (2004)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (19)

On one of the city's hottest nights, New York Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas is sent to Central Park--and into a hellish new investigation. The victim is found on the rocks, just above the still, dark water of The Lake in Central Park. Around her neck is a single red ribbon. Her hands are posed, as if in prayer. But it is the eyes--removed with such precision, as if done by the careful hand of a surgeon--that have Dallas most alarmed. As more bodies turn up, each with the same defining scars, Eve is frantic for answers. Against her instincts, she accepts help from a psychic who offers one vision after another--each with shockingly accurate details of the murders. And when partner and friend Peabody is badly injured after escaping an attack, the stakes are raised. Are the eyes a symbol? A twisted religious ritual? A souvenir? With help from her husband, Roarke, Dallas must uncover the killer's motivation before another vision becomes another nightmare....… (more)

In Death 19
  JimFellows | Mar 3, 2021 |
After reading the latest In Death books, I went back to my bookshelf this weekend and re-read some of my favorites. It was nice to see what drew me to this series and what I hope to see again one day.

"Visions in Death" follows Eve and company as they try to track down a serial killer. I really do love this one because we get to see the friendship of Eve and Peabody come full circle. We have fan favorites like Louise and Charles show up too (I love Charles). We have Feeney, Summerset, and Mavis. Heck, we even have Nadine. For once the huge cast of characters does very well together, though there were a couple of minor things that happened that took me out of the story. And what I really love is that Robb threw in a twist in the ending too. You think you know what went down til Eve reveals all. I will give Robb crap for that though since I wish we had seen clues of this in the book. I am not a fan when a mystery writer hides the clues so to speak to give a surprise ending to the audience.

Eve in "Visions in Death" is doing her best to track down a serial killer. The man leaves women dead, taking their eyes with him (shudder). As more and more women start to pile up, Eve is actually reluctantly inclined to involve a psychic in the hunt for the serial killer. What I do love about the "In Death" books which I wish that Robb would go back to more, is that men and women who are psychic or have the ability to read people are prevalent in this world. No one is mocking it and not saying it's not real. And in one of the earlier books, Robb mentions that Dr. Mira has a daughter who is psychic.

What I really do love about this book is that we see a transformed Eve in this one. She opens up to Peabody and lets her know about her past. Because of what the revelations about Eve's past could do to her current position on the NYPD, not a lot of people know about what happened to Eve as a child and also what she ended up doing (if you have read this series before now, you know that she murdered her father when he was about to beat and rape her again). Having her tell Peabody about that felt right. And Peabody's reaction to the news confirms what she had started to suspect regarding Eve and her empathy for Eve breaks you a bit when you read it in print.

Roarke is Roarke in this one. He is juggling his billion dollar a day businesses while helping Eve in her hunt for this killer. When someone close to them gets injured, Roarke is all in to bring the person down. We also get to see Roarke in the end with Eve and they actually have a serious talk about what they want done if they die (it's grim, but believe me when you read that scene you get it).

As I said above, we also get welcomed appearances by many in the "In Death" family. They are introduced organically and do not wreck the flow of the story at all. I really do wish at times we could go back to the earlier books when we didn't have so many people to keep track of. Ah well.

The writing is top notch Robb. This is one of the earlier books and the payoff of 18 books and novellas at this point is really worth it. I did think the writing got a bit too much at one point when Eve is interviewing someone (no spoilers) and the person went from being out of it and high as anything due to meds being pumped in to being able to give a report to Eve in five seconds. Apparently in the future, meds work really fast.

The flow as I said earlier works.

The setting of the crimes takes place in Central Park. I have never been there, but Robb manages to capture the location and the many people/women in this story brilliant. I have said before, Robb does a good job with tertiary characters in this book I found. She manages to make them feel real to you in just a few short paragraphs. I have always wondered what happened to people after Eve no longer is investigating. In some of the books they do pop up again which is nice.

As I said, this book has a twist thrown in that when I first read it years ago I remember had my mouth hanging open. I was surprised as anything. Of course now re-reading this, I already knew that the twist was coming. But I have to say, that even though Eve lays everything out to you. I wish that we as readers had gotten more clues our way that this was an option. ( )
1 vote ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
A body in Central Park, posed with a red ribbon around her neck, her hands in prayer, and her eyes removed, launches New York Police and Security Department homicide detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas into an alarming case. Bodies continue to turn up, Peabody is seriously injured, and a psychic has visions that yield astonishingly accurate details of each murder.

Will the killer strike again before another vision becomes a nightmare?

The nineteenth book in the “In Death” series brings readers a gruesome, gritty killer and a strong cast to help solve the murders. The continuing camaraderie between the characters in this series remains strong as new revelations keep them relatable and nuanced. Relationships grow, the plot twists and turns, readers find it difficult to set the book aside before turning the final page. It’s good to know that some things never change . . . .

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | May 3, 2020 |
SIGNED
  scarycreek | Feb 23, 2020 |
Eve on the path of a rapist and murderer who likes to take his victims eyes, with a little help from a psychic. Always an enjoyable read, even if dark sometimes.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'amitié ne saurait exister sans cérémonial et sans courtoisie.
Lord Halifax
Est-ce une vision ? Un songe ? Suis-je en train de dormir ?
William Shakespeare
Elle était arrivée au bout de la soirée sans tuer personne.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,304,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible