Inspector Imanishi Investigates by Seicho…

Inspector Imanishi Investigates

by Seicho Matsumoto

Introducing Inspector Imanishi, Haiku poet, gardener and the most respected and dogged homicide detective on the Tokyo police force. A police procedural in the classic tradition of P. D. James's Commander Dalgleish. First rate.' - The New York Times ''An intriguing slice of the mores and habits of Japanese society...Seicho Matsumoto combines the prolific output of a Rex Stout with the literary qualities of Elmore Leonard.' - San Francisco Chronicle 'A superb thriller.' - Los Angeles Times'… (more)

Very enjoyable. Great characters and an interesting puzzle to solve. If it were being written today, this would undoubtedly be the first of many installments, but in 1961 you could write a one-off. ( )
  Sunita_p | May 30, 2019 |
A carefully-plotted mystery, one solitary and thoughtful male detective (makes me think of a more melancholy Martin Beck), and detailed descriptions of the contradictions of postwar Japanese society ... turns out when these things are combined, it makes for a very interesting book. A slow-moving mystery that takes its time to build up the case. ( )
  subabat | Mar 19, 2018 |
This is an old school police procedural set in Japan. Written by Seicho Matsumoto in the early sixties, it's a peek into Japan, a generation ago. In a structured society, still recovering from the aftermath of WWII, Imanishi hunts for the killer of a man found murdered at a rail yard in Tokyo. The investigation takes time, with information requested by letter and with Imanishi following though with every elusive lead.

This book reminded me of the Martin Beck series by Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowell, where the investigation isn't wrapped up quickly and there are no guns fired, but the case is solved by solid and dogged police persistence. ( )
1 vote RidgewayGirl | Sep 16, 2014 |
The translation is clunky. The writing doesn't flow well. But the story is very good. I liked the slower pace and the Japanese politeness in this unusual police procedural. I enjoyed the world and it felt very real. I did like it a lot despite its shortcomings. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A man is found dead on train tracks and the Detective Imanishi has to find out who he is when his only clue is that a second man with a particular accent was seen with the man shortly before his death. This leads to the introduction of the great artists on the current Japanese scene as Imanishi tries to discover what the connection is between all the people in his dossier.

I've read one of Matsumoto's books before and really enjoyed it so I decided to make this one my second. I was originally very caught up in the book but then, admittedly, I started losing track of what was going on which made me lose my attention. Especially since when I lost my thirst for the book, it started to take longer and longer just to read a few pages. It took the detective's summary at the end for me to understand what I had just read.

Nevertheless the plot was still intriguing and I enjoy Matsumoto's pleasant, soothing, style. There is no fantasy in his work and no large conspiracies tied to underground mystical groups that I typically associate with crime fiction; his work is really like spending time with your father, the police detective, as you watch him struggle to find the right course of action. ( )
  lilisin | Jan 31, 2014 |
The first train on the Keihin-Tohoku line was scheduled to leave the Kamata Station at 4:08 A.M.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,331,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible