Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of…

Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls (1994)

by Mary Pipher

Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs by Rosalind Barnett (mollishka)
    mollishka: While this book is largely dedicated to destroying the myth that women and men are fundamentally different, it has near the end an entire chapter devoted to tearing apart Reviving Ophelia and girls' so-called "self-esteem dive." Any parent (with either boys or girls) should read this book.… (more)
    Ophelia Speaks: Adolescent Girls Write About Their Search for Self by Sara Shandler (twomoredays)
    twomoredays: If you're going to subject yourself to Pipher's damning work, you owe it to yourself to read this book. It's essays written by adolescent girls in response to Pipher's work.

Jenny's book!
  AlanBudreau | Apr 4, 2018 |
The trouble with reading a book like this, written over 20 years ago, is that you start wondering how things have changed. Has it gotten better for girls since then? Or even worse? I still would have liked a daughter. ( )
1 vote MarthaJeanne | Jul 14, 2017 |
very interesting information about what teenage girls are going through these days. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Read this while I was in college because it interested me (it wasn't assigned). Pipher provides answers to the mysterious (ridiculous) behavior of adolescent girls. Having been the most awful adolescent--a curse to a hopeful mother--I was definitely curious. If only my mother could have read this back then! This book explains it all; mostly the affect our society has on developing young girls. It seems I was destined to suffer from depression, low self-esteem, an eating disorder, and a toxic relationship with my mother (not her fault!) Pipher helps adolescents and their baffled, suffering mothers understand their problems, behaviors, and motivations. I recommend this book to this group as well as grown women who are interested in women's issues.
This particular copy has been lent to friend's aunt, who read it during a time of crisis with her own teenage daughter. (It helped, she says). She left it in the rain, which explains its appropriately warped body-- ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
If I have a daughter, I will have her read this book when she's a teen. I think all teens should read it- I wish I'd read it as a teen. It was fascinating and insightful. ( )
  t1bnotown | Jul 6, 2015 |
This book was good, up until the chapter on "Sex and Violence" which turned out to be a bunch of rape stories that made me stop reading the book afterwards.
added by leedavies777 | editNew York Times

To the memory of Frank and Avis Bray
When my cousin Polly was a girl, she was energy in motion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345392825, Paperback)

At adolescence, says Mary Pipher, "girls become 'female impersonators' who fit their whole selves into small, crowded spaces." Many lose spark, interest, and even IQ points as a "girl-poisoning" society forces a choice between being shunned for staying true to oneself and struggling to stay within a narrow definition of female. Pipher's alarming tales of a generation swamped by pain may be partly informed by her role as a therapist who sees troubled children and teens, but her sketch of a tougher, more menacing world for girls often hits the mark. She offers some prescriptions for changing society and helping girls resist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

Describes the psychological pitfalls faced by teenage girls growing up in a dangerous world in which violence, sexual harassment, eating disorders, promiscuity, and drug use have become the norm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,569,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible