The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power…

The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter, &…

by Bruce H. Lipton

461922,366 (3.9)3

I'm not sure what to make of this book really. I got it from a bibliography from all things of a book about trading. So I was thinking I would get something on spiritualism or motivation/self improvement. Something along those lines. The book mostly focused on fairly high level biology of cell behavior. What was kind of funny is he inferred he did not want to get too technical being a biology professor then proceeded to spend about three-fourths of the book talking about technical biology matters. For me anyway. The tie in from biology to belief was vague. There were nuggets of interesting things he pointed out about learning and being programmed that refuted the hard wired concepts of genetics. At the very conclusion he got into some of the things I was anticipating in the book but also gave what I construed as the typical sermon of new age principles relating to the environment and living in harmony with nature. I can hardly endorse the book due to the far flung nature of the things he gets into but for some it might just be their cup of tea.
  knightlight777 | Jul 7, 2012 |
Lipton is a cell biologist whose “study of cells turned [him] into a spiritual person.” This is a highly readable science book, defining how beliefs control behavior and gene activity, and consequently the unfolding of our lives. It’s a fun learning tool that doesn’t dig too deeply, with an uplifting message.

Belief truly is biological. One interesting topic that Lipton addresses is the placebo effect. It “is quickly glossed over in medical schools so that students can get to the real tools of modern medicine like drugs and surgery. This is a giant mistake. The placebo affect should be a major topic of study in medical school.” Of course, Lipton is a realist; he realizes placebo pills are a threat to the pharmaceutical industry, as well as the scalpel holders, and Lipton is not one to mince words.

It should be pointed out that this is no dry textbook; it borders in places on metaphysical and holistic speculation. But the book is so darn fun. In this light, do not ignore the epilogue; it’s the best part of the book, where Lipton deals with speculative conclusions regarding our “me-ness” and the power of the mind that transformed him into a bubbly, optimistic believer. His “aha” moment was the realization that every protein in our bodies is a physical/electromagnetic complement to something in the environment … that environment being the universe, or to many, God. As we are inextricably intertwined with the divine, survival of the fittest turns out to mean survival of the most loving. ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Jun 27, 2012 |
Should be an very interesting book - Steve
  hkustlibrarything | Aug 9, 2010 |
This book attempts to explain the theories of “Epigenetics” in simple terms and illustrations that are integrated with the author’s personal story which serves as an example of how the cells of our bodies are affected by our thoughts. I see the book as composed of biology plus quantum mechanics plus metaphysics plus spiritualism.

Bullet points extracted from the text:
• The body is made up of trillions of cells, the very heart of biological study.
• Cells individually have all the functions our bodies have; equivalents of the nervous system, digestive system, respiratory system, excretory system, endocrine system, muscle and skeletal systems, integument (skin), reproductive system and even a primitive immune system.
• Each cell is described as an intelligent being that can survive on its own, smart cells imbued with intent and purpose; actively seeking environments that support their survival while avoiding toxic or hostile ones. Thus cells are held to be capable of learning through environmental experiences and able to create cellular memories and pass said learned information to their offspring, an example being an immune response to a virus.
• Cellular learning and survival imperatives led cells to organize and specialize, ultimately developing multi-cellular organisms.
• Proteins within the cells perform the physical work behind metabolic and behavioral functions.
• The nucleus, containing the cell’s DNA, is cell memory referenced in the production of proteins
• The cell membrane is the brains of each cell, controlling cell functions. The membrane reads the environment and reacts to that stimulus by means of receptors, gates and channels.
• Dr. Lipton describes the cell membrane as a “liquid crystal semiconductor with gates and channels.” Being that cell membranes and computer chips are homologues; then cells are programmable, just as computer chips are. If so, the programmer lies outside of the cell. (Is that programming by me or the environment?)
• Data is entered into cells via the membrane’s receptors. Receptors trigger the membrane’s effector proteins, which act as the cell’s “Central Processing Unit” (CPU). The effector proteins convert environmental information into the behavioral language of biology.
• Physics is the foundation of all sciences and biology has relied on the physical world of Newtonian physics – the laws of matter – ignoring the invisible quantum world of Einstein, in which matter is made up of energy and there are no absolutes.
• Quantum physics discovered that physical atoms are made up of vortices of energy that are constantly spinning and vibrating, radiating energy. Assemblies of atoms – molecules – collectively radiate their own identity.
Every material structure in the universe, including you and me, radiates a unique energy signature.
• The quantum perspective reveals that the universe is an integration of independent energy fields that are entangled in a meshwork of interactions. The flow of information in a quantum universe is holistic.
• The difference between Newtonian and quantum physics is that quantum mechanics more specifically applies to molecular and atomic realms (and therefore to cells) while Newtonian laws apply to higher levels of organization, such as organ systems, people or populations of people.
• Hundreds of scientific studies over the past fifty years have consistently revealed that “invisible forces” of the electromagnetic spectrum (energy) profoundly impact every facet of biological regulation. Specific frequencies and patterns (of energy) have been shown to regulate DNA, RNA, protein synthesis, alter protein shape and function, and control gene regulation, cell division, cell differentiation, hormone secretion and nerve growth and function.
• When cells come together in a community each cell cannot act as an independent agent, the member cells must commit to a common plan, accomplished through cell specialization. In our bodies, certain cells have the job of monitoring and organizing the flow of behavior regulating signal molecules – the nervous system and the brain.
• The brain’s function is to coordinate the dialog of signal molecules within our community of cells.
• Subconscious reflexive behaviors, like breathing, are controlled by portions of the brain. Other portions can learn new behaviors and the self-conscious brain – the prefrontal cortex – can observe programmed behavior, evaluate it and consciously decide to change the program. Thoughts can propel behavior more efficiently than physical molecules – the speed of light versus the speed of chemistry.
• In medicine, the placebo effect is an example of the workings of a positive belief. In a 2002 study patients with severe debilitating knee pain were divided into 3 groups. The first group had damaged cartilage shaved; the second had the joint flushed while the third group had a fake operation. All three groups improved. The third group as much as the other two.
• Conversely, engaging the mind in negative thinking can damage your health.
• Your beliefs act like filters on a camera, changing how the world is seen. Your biology adapts to those beliefs. While we cannot readily change the codes of our genetic blueprints, we can change our minds. Positive thoughts are a biological mandate for a happy, healthy life.
• The brain’s subconscious mind is an autopilot that operates on genetic instincts, which control the body’s physiological mechanisms; and learned perceptions, the fundamental behaviors and attitudes we observe in parents teachers and peers, no matter if those beliefs are true or not. The subconscious is pre-programmed at birth but learns and is reprogrammed throughout our lives by the conscious mind.
• These two minds are a phenomenal mechanism but we need to be aware that the greatest impediment to realizing the dreams of the conscious mind are the limitations programmed into the subconscious.
• Our minds progression makes each of us unique. But even mindless, we are biologically unique at birth and carry that identity for life. That is made possible by a family of cell receptors called self-receptors (human leukocytic antigens), no two sets of which are alike. It is what activates these self-receptors that make our cells reflect our identity. Like a TV antenna, they read a signal of self that does not exist within the cell but comes to it externally. Therefore, our “self” exists in the environment, whether our body is here or not!

In all, the book goes from science to spirituality and self-help vaguely supported by limited examples. Its new biology and new science so expect revisions to these theories by others in the future. ( )
  rlb727 | Dec 27, 2009 |
Well written book that explains current understanding of cell governance. Author argues that the cell is primarely dependant upon external electro-magnetic fields for moment to moment operation. The nucleus is primarely concerned with re-production. It is the receptor and effector proteins embedded in the membrain of a cell that receive and transmit external data to the internal mechanisms of the cell including the protein sleves that control how the DNA functions. ( )
  Jotto | Jan 2, 2009 |

The Biology of Belief is a groundbreaking work in the field of New Biology. Author Dr. Bruce Lipton is a former medical school professor and research scientist. His experiments, and those of other leading-edge scientists, have examined in great detail the processes by which cells receive information. The implications of this research radically change our understanding of life. It shows that genes and DNA do not control our biology; that instead DNA is controlled by signals from outside the cell, including the energetic messages emanating from our positive and negative thoughts. Dr. Lipton's profoundly hopeful synthesis of the latest and best research in cell biology and quantum physics is being hailed as a major breakthrough showing that our bodies can be changed as we retrain our thinking.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:26 -0400)

Author Lipton is a former medical school professor and research scientist. His experiments, and those of other leading-edge scientists, have examined in great detail the processes by which cells receive information. The implications of this research radically change our understanding of life. It shows that genes and DNA do not control our biology; that instead DNA is controlled by signals from outside the cell, including the energetic messages emanating from our positive and negative thoughts. Dr. Lipton's profoundly hopeful synthesis of the latest and best research in cell biology and quantum physics is being hailed as a breakthrough, showing that our bodies can be changed as we retrain our thinking.--From publisher description.… (more)

567 wanted2 pay7 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,583,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible