The Seventh Sinner (1972)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Jacqueline Kirby (1)

At first, Jean Suttman thought she had died and gone to Heaven when she was granted the opportunity to study in Rome. But the body that's lying in the ancient subterranean Temple of Mithra--the murdered corpse of a repulsive and disliked fellow student--isn't her idea of heavenly. Now she is truly frightened, not just because small "accidents" seem to be occurring around her with disturbing regularity. It's the ever-increasing certainty that someone, for some unknown reason, is ruthlessly determined to do her harm. Jean's innocent underground excursion into a sacred pagan place has trapped her in something dark and terrifying, and even the knowledge that practical, perceptive fellow American Jacqueline Kirby is on the case won't ease her fears. Because there's only so far Jean Suttman can run . . . and no escape for her except death.… (more)

English (12)  German (1)  All languages (13)
44007968095 ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 20, 2020 |
Fun! It's in many ways a classic whodunit - including the sleuth who knows more than she says and a surprise reveal at the end. But the depth of the characters - Jean and Jacqueline, and to a lesser extent the others of the Seven Sinners - is highly rewarding. I know we see Jacqueline again, I don't know if this was intended as the first of a series or as a standalone when it was written. She's portrayed here as a very complex persona(s), and I find her very interesting. She's also not the (very annoying, to me) know-it-all - she's uncertain and worried about knock-on effects of what she learns. The story drew me in and made me want to keep reading when I had to do other things. Ok, I'm hooked on Elizabeth Peters again, go find more (this series and others). ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Feb 1, 2020 |
With an opportunity to study in Rome, Jean goes on an expedition and finds a dead body. Accident’s start to happen around her and someone is intent on doing her harm.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 12, 2018 |
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 23, 2017 |
This book introduces Jacqueline Kirby, a librarian, who happens to have an inquiring mind. However, Jean Suttman, one of the "seven sinners" who are students studying in Rome, is closer to what I think of as the main character. I enjoyed the interplay among the students and between Jean and Jacqueline.

The author's knowledge of archaeology shines in this book. As a retired librarian, I always enjoy fiction with a competent librarian as an active part of the story. Combined with a good mystery, I suspected this would be good and I was not disappointed.

I liked this book, but parts of it felt awkward. The conversion to Kindle had the typographical issue of some words run together. I will continue reading this four-book series. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Oct 23, 2016 |
Jean would never forget her first encounter with Jacqueline Kirby.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,840,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible