dismiss

Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins

by Carole Boston Weatherford

Other authors: Jerome LaGarrigue (Illustrator)

The 1960 civil rights sit-ins at the Woolworth's lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina, are seen through the eyes of a young Southern black girl.

I enjoyed this story for a number of reasons. I loved the accuracy of how the times were during the civil rights movement and the courage and determination exemplified by the characters in the story. I think that this story gives young students an accurate insight into how things used to be and the strength and perseverance that these families had. The illustrations are also accurate and depict the story very well. ( )
  sgargi3 | Mar 26, 2020 |
This story explains the struggle of what black people went through. Back in the 1900s, black people did not have the same rights as whites. Black people could not drink from their fountain, sit in their restaurant, use their bathroom, and so much more. If they get caught they will get punished violently. In the story, it was hard for Connie and her mother because they could not sit at the counter in the five-and-dime store. It was for whites only. When the whole town listened to Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech, everything begins to change. Black people would protest against segregation. When black people fought for so long for equality, freedom, and rights also, going to jail for protesting cause them to do the same thing as whites. In this society now, I believe this story is perfect to read to young children and young adults. I want children to understand the content of the story, think deeply about it, and learn. I love the dark color illustrations in the story. This story is told from the first-person point of view from the little girl perspective. ( )
  EveYoung | Mar 8, 2020 |
Freedom on the Menu shows the struggles that people of color had to go through. During this time, people of color did not have the same rights as whites. In the story, Connie and her mother could not sit at the counter at the five-and-dime store because it was only for whites. It was not until after the town had listened to Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech that things began to change. People of color began to protest against segregation. After many days of protesting and people going to jail, people of color were finally able to do things that whites could do. This story really shows how people and society developed over time. In my opinion, Freedom on the Menu is a great story to read to children. The story is written in the point of view of a little girl, so the words are simple enough for younger children to understand. This story also talks about a very important time in history which I think is something that children should still be familiar with today. ( )
  H_Miller | Feb 18, 2020 |
All Connie wanted was a coke and a banana split and to sit at the counter and eat. Her perspective is different than the contentions of the adults on either side of the prevailing societal issues of the 60's. She just wanted to drink and eat without being told where. The book highlights the famous four who sat in order to take a stand and against social inequity and racism. I enjoyed the sfumato style painted illustrations to which I believed moved the story along while lending to the overall tone of the story. These were sad times for black families especially in considering how to even broach this very visible societal problem to young black family member who were just as stunned and befuddled as Connie. ( )
  saylore | Feb 5, 2020 |
During the Civil Rights era there are many true and living stories told of the direct struggles of how african americans fought against all odds to be seen as equals. This story speaks of 8 year old Connie and her family during the Greebsboro Sit-ins in 1960. It tells of Connie's perspective being shaped by her sister and brother joining the resistance against white suppression, the negative and dire circumstances of being arrested for standing up to injustices and hate. The story is told from Connie's perspective and the setting takes on a character of its own, as people push the boundaries of suppression. I love how the muted tones and how the author brushed Connie with such inspiring descriptions such as "I can't even stand the smell of egg salad, but I watched them take every bite". I also loved how it exemplifies the spirit that the community shared as they came together to fight for what was right. ( )
  W.Arute | Sep 9, 2019 |

Carole Boston Weatherfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
LaGarrigue, JeromeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,815,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible