The Wrong Boy by Willy Russell

The Wrong Boy (2000)

by Willy Russell

English (10)  Danish (1)  All languages (11)
The Wrong Boy by Willy Russell was a good book. As I got further in the book I was able to connect Raymond’s behavior as being a normal young boy going through situations because of the environment, people around him, the confusion of boyish antics, his judgment of life and himself. After reading the book and sitting back thinking about it I was able to see and feel why Raymond was Raymond.

At points I would say to myself this book is corny but it wasn’t. I just wanted to move on to the next page and get through the book. Half way through the book situations in the story started making sense. His last stop in Grimsby brought his disturbing past to an end and gave him a future of being just Raymond. It was a good story and it was to bad I didn’t realize it sooner. For a while he just imagined himself as the wrong boy. However he was the right boy. He was Raymond………

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Fabulous! ( )
  .cris | May 31, 2016 |
Mooi boek over hoe het leven van iemand compleet op zijn kop gezet kan worden door het gedrag en beslissingen van een aantal slechte mensen. En een mooie uiteenzetting over hoe een verzameling van feiten nog geen waarheid hoeven te betekenen. ( )
  KvanGorp | Mar 8, 2016 |
Hilarious, moving and enthralling, a story told by young Raymond, a “not normal” boy, in his letters written to Morrissey. His troubles start with some innocent boys’ games by the canal, misunderstood as a perversion by teachers and parents, and escalate from there. He describes his relationships with his family: confused mother, loving ally of a grandmother, horrendous uncle, and he enjoys the friendship of some slightly odd peers and other interesting characters as he progresses.
Even at its most moving, the humour still shines through. An intriguing and gripping plot, it is tempting to rush ahead to discover what happens next, but to do so means sacrificing the sheer joy of reading Raymond’s ramblings. Beautifully written, very entertaining and truly involving, this is to be highly recommended. ( )
  presto | Apr 24, 2012 |
I really enjoyed the book. All of the characters were very tangible. The relationship between Raymond and his Mum was particularly interesting in that it seemed to me that the well-being of one was dependant on the state of mind/well-being of the other. It was difficult to see how a stoic character like Gran had raised a daughter as feeble as Mary….
Gran, Twinky & Norman - what's not to love!

I thought at times the story lost its way a little and rambled on somewhat - particularly when the Country & Western band arrived on the scene.

The last two paragraphs in the book completely fulfilled the "feel good" factor for me :0)
  callington | Sep 29, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 345386428X, Paperback)

Der Tag, an dem der elfjährige Raymond Marks in einer Schulpause per Zufall das "Fliegenfangen" erfindet, ändert alles. Das harmlose Spiel führt für Raymond zu einem tragikomischen Leben als Außenseiter und Sonderling, bis er schließlich seine ganz persönliche Unabhängigkeitserklärung entwickelt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:04 -0400)

Raymond Marks is a normal boy, from a normal family, in a normal town. His father left home after falling in love with a five-string banjo; his fun-hating Gran believes she should have married Jean-Paul Sartre: "I could never read his books but y'could tell from his picture, there was nothing frivolous about Jean-Paul Sartre." Felonious Uncle Jason and Appalling Aunty Paula are lusting after the satellite dish; frogs are flattered on Failsworth Boulevard; and Sickening Sonia's being sick in the majestic cathedral of words.Raymond Marks is a normal boy. Until, on the banks of the Rochdale Canal, the fly-trapping craze begins and, for Raymond and his Mam, nothing is ever quite so normal again.In Raymond, prize-wining and internationally acclaimed playwright Willy Russell has created a character to rival his Shirley Valentine and Educating Rita.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,654,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible