After the Dancing Days by Margaret…

After the Dancing Days

by Margaret Rostkowski

This is another approach to an anti war novel. Instead of taking us into battle, it shows us the aftermath. A very thoughtful young girl learns more about war by becoming friends with a man disfigured by gas burns. She tries to find out how her uncle died in battle and learns yet another aspect of war. I liked the growth the characters experienced. Real characters and touching story. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Annie, who is 13, has a forbidden friendship with a badly disfigured man from World War I, which causes her to reconsider her definition of hero. ( )
  nolak | Jun 10, 2009 |
"For Annie and her family, World War I is over. Her father, a doctor, had returned home. But for the wounded men Annie sees being carried from the train, the war will never really be over. It's time to forget the fighting, her mother tells her 'It brought so much misery. I won't have it touching you.' But it's already touched Annie - her favorite uncle was killed in France. In addition, her father decides to continue his work with the wounded soldiers and, despite her mother's disapproval, Annie too is drawn to the hospital. There she meets Andrew, a bitter and withdrawn young veteran. Annie helps to bring Andrew out of his shell, and in the process, not only learns to stand up to her mother's anger but also bravely confronts the ironies of heroism and war."

I read this book when I was younger and it spoke to me, saying that I should care for more than the people I know, I should care for the people I don't know and that is what Annie did to Andrew. She cared for him when he told her to go away and leave him alone, but she didn't because she cared enough for him, a perfect stranger, to help him get over his terrible wounds. To help him see beautiful things again. That is what I love most about this book.

If you have never read this book, go out and buy a copy, I recommend it wholeheartedly! ( )
  fantasia655 | Mar 14, 2009 |
A forbidden friendship with a badly disfigured soldier in the aftermath of World War I forces thirteen-year-old Annie to redefine the word "hero" and to question conventional ideas of patriotism. ( )
  ERMSMediaCenter | Feb 18, 2009 |
This one's a tale of the aftermath of World War I. The war is over and Annie Metcalf's father--a doctor--has just returned home. Moved by his experience, he forgoes his old practice at County Hospital and begins working with the wounded vets at St. John's veteran's hospital. Annie's grandfather also regularly visits St. John's, to read to a local boy who has suffered an eye injury. This causes a bit of tension in the family, as Annie's mother, like most of the rest of the community, would like to put the war behind and let someone else tend to Kansas City's maimed soldiers. 13-year-old Annie's curiosity is piqued and she visits her father at work, meeting some of the soldiers. Her initial visit is a bit frightening, but she soon becomes a regular visitor, especially befriending one young man who was badly disfigured by mustard gas. It's a nice story, positively dealing with wartime losses and the emotional recovery that needs to happen afterwards.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jun 6, 2008 |

Is War A Thing To Be Forgotten?

That's what Annie's mother would like to do. She wants to forget the pain and heartache--and to keep it away from Annie, too. But Annie cannot forget the death of her favorite uncle, who was killed in France. She cannot forget Andrew, the angry young veteran she meets at the hospital where her father works. Can Annie find the courage to help Andrew? And will she ever be able to make sense of a war that took so much from so many?

Drawn to the Kansas hospital where her father cares for wounded World War One veterans, Annie meets Andrew, a disfigured young soldier. As Annie helps Andrew slowly adjust to his wounds, she also faces devastating truths about war and the complex world of adulthood. -A girl on the brink of womanhood comes to terms with the brutal aftereffects of war in an absorbing novel.’ —BL.

Notable Children’s Books of 1986 (ALA)
1986 Best Books for Young Adults (ALA)
The USA Through Children's Books (ALSC)
1986 Children's Editors' Choices (BL)
1987 Children's Book Award (IRA)
Young Adult Choices for 1988 (IRA)
100 Favorite Paperbacks 1989 (IRA/CBC)
Notable 1986 Children's Trade Books in Social Studies (NCSS/CBC)
1987 Teachers' Choices (NCTE)
1986 Golden Kite Award for Fiction (SCBW)
Judy Lopez Memorial Award Certificate of Merit
1986 Jefferson Cup Award Winner (Virginia Library Association)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,445,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible