Church History In Plain Language

by Bruce L. Shelley

With more than 315,000 copies sold, this is the story of the church for today's readers. The fourth edition of Shelley's classic one-volume history of the church brings the story of Christianity into the twenty-first century. This latest edition of the book takes a close look at the rapid growth of evangelical and Pentecostal Christianity in the southern hemisphere, addresses the decline in traditional mainline denominations, examines the influence of technology on the spread of the gospel, and discusses how Christianity intersects with other religions in countries all over the world. This concise book provides an easy-to-read guide to church history with intellectual substance. The new edition of Church History in Plain Language promises to be the new standard for readable church history. Features include: Includes contemporary developments related to the spread of the gospel Discusses how technology has an impact on how the church worships and grows Covers the explosion of Christianity in the southern hemisphere… (more)
    Holy Bible - Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) by Wartburg Project (divinepeacelutheran)
    divinepeacelutheran: My go-to version of the Bible. No additions or deletions. Easy to read.

This book is alright, if you don't set much store in things like historical accuracy, thoroughness, or nuanced treatment of subjects. Two stars because at least it was readable. I do not recommend as a serious or accurate source of information, but if all you have time for is a quick and dirty overview of the topic (and if you are already familiar enough with the history to know when it is misrepresented) then I suppose this would do the trick. ( )
  ErinCSmith | Jul 24, 2020 |
This is the most readable of all the church history books i've examined. It is thorough and often gives unique insights. It is a relatively easy read as history books go and the accounts will hold your interest. I would recommend this book as a great starting place for a layman wanting to study church history and it has enough depth to still be of value for those conversant in church history. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
This book is part of my collection that really focuses in on Biblical Commentary more than anything else (including some well known authors in the theological world). All of these books haven't been read cover to cover, but I've spent a lot of time with them and they've been helpful in guiding me through difficult passages (or if I desire to dig deeper). ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
I'm not against apologetics books.
I'm not against Church history books written unashamedly from the Christian POV.
I'm not even against shameless mixing of the two.
I like books written in plain language.

I like good books.

This one is not. Neither is in in plain language. This is a bad book, the language is above all boring to death. What the book lacks in style, it has in abundance in bad history and pitiful apologetics. I can't understand how anyone could have read it, even on assignment. ( )
  igorterleg | Jan 24, 2016 |
Worthy reading. Only the end was too fast, too much information too condensed. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Christianity's roots go back into Jewish history long before the birth of Jesus Christ. It was Jesus of Nazareth, however, who attacked established Judaism and brought a renewal movement into history's light early in the first century. After his crucifixion under Pontius Pilate, a Roman official, Jesus' teachings spread throughout the Mediterranean area An apostle named Paul was especially influential. He stressed Go's gift of salvation for all men and thus led in Christianity's emergence from Palestinian Judaism to a position as a universal religion.
To my students in Church History classes who pressed the question of significance
[Foreword] Years ago, as an undergraduate majoring in history I was told about an exciting professor who taught church history at Denver Seminary.
[Prologue] For years I kept a cartoon on my study door.
Christianity is the only major religion to have as its central event the humiliation of its God.
[Epilogue] Today, after 2,000 years, Christianity is the faith, at least nominally, of one-third of the earth's population.
[Foreword - 4th Edition] This book executed a noble purpose: to lead evangelical readers to engage their own story and to encounter the larger Christian world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,210,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible