Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni

Little Blue and Little Yellow

by Leo Lionni

1,127None7,274 (4.09)6

English (56)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
This story is a great telling of friendship and can tell any age group the story of how to always be there for one another. I think that the big idea for this book is to tell children that keeping friendships with good people can make them feel amazing! I enjoyed the moment when Little Yellow and Little Blue hugged and noticed that they turned to green because their colors mixed. I think that this happens in every friendship. It takes a little from each side to keep a friendship going and blending ideas and opinions makes the friendship enjoyable and fun. Although the story was great and I loved reading it, I did not enjoy one part of it. When Little Yellow and Little Blue turn green from blending all the way with one another, their parents don't recognize them and don't allow then inside the house. I was not sure how to feel about this at first, but then when I thought about it more I realized that not every children's book should be sappy and happy. Children should be able to feel more emotions, other than happiness, when reading stories. Feeling upset for the little colors is okay and it allows children to tune into more emotions. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Mar 9, 2014 |
I have to say that this is one of my lesser-liked books by Leo. I think the idea of giving the two colors human-like traits is cute, but is a little boring for me as a reader. ( )
  lnmeadows | Nov 20, 2013 |
This book explains an understanding of colors, changes of colors through blending and friendship. It also covers the differences in families and people. ( )
  Gelettie | Nov 18, 2013 |
My son (3 1/2) used to ask me these questions about the colors constantly, and almost obsessively. And most of them I could not answer. "What happens when you mix orange and silver? What about brown and purple? What does blue and black make??" When we saw this book at the library, I'm sure he thought: "Finally, I'll get the answers to ALL my questions." In any case, when you mix yellow and blue, you end up with green, and that's the topic of this book. There's an emotional twist to it as well. Little yellow lives with his yellow mother and father and little blue with his blue parents. The two of them however are best friends. So much (and this my son knew for sure) that they mixed with each other and turned into green. Which should have been fine, except their parents didn't recognize them anymore, and pretty much rejected them. Tough! Although we were only talking about little dots and blobs on a page, I could see my son was a little shaken. Luckily, there was a happy ending and everybody ended up hugging everybody, with mixed outcomes ...

My son liked it. And it's pretty smart and even invites for discussion. I'm usually pretty generous with 3 star ratings, but I would have liked to rate this on a little higher but yet not 4 stars, rather somewhere in between.

Update 4/24/13: See [b:One|3118349|One|Kathryn Otoshi|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1328765629s/3118349.jpg|3149675] for another take on teaching tolerance with blots of color. ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Little blue and little yellow were best friends and one day they hugged so much that they became green. They went home that night and their parents said you are not my little blue and the other one said you are not my little yellow. They were sad. Then there parents were hugging and then they also changed to green so then they were all happy. I would use this for grades Kindergarden- 2nd grade. I would use this book in my classroom because it shows good friendship and it shows that if you mix colors you will get a new color.
  AmandaHempleman | Oct 10, 2013 |
This is little blue.
"Happily they hugged each other and hugged each other until they were green."

a great book to show kids how mixing colors makes other colors.

Little blue and little yellow share wonderful adventures. One day, they can't find one another. When they finally meet, they are overjoyed. They hug until they become green. But where did little blue and little yellow go? Are they lost?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:58 -0400)

A little blue spot and a little yellow spot are best friends, and when they hug each other they become green.

76 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,427,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible