Magician by Raymond E. Feist
3,358492,308 (4.21)1 / 119
Recently added byrena75, evilTak, Vulco1, dfekt, alisonfrances

English (48)  Dutch (1)  All languages (49)
The Magician is an epic fantasy novel about the lives of Pug and those around him, their victories, their defeats, their friendships, oh... and there is magic.

The Bad Stuff: If I said I had just read a book with wizards, dwarves, elves, goblins and a mad king, what would you think of? Well, The Magician is not the title that most people would think of. There are a few similarities to another well read epic fantasy in this book, some over explaining and repetition, with a fair bit of telling in the writing style.

The good stuff: While The Magician bears some similarities to another Tolkien's work, it is an epic tale in its own right. Feist has put an original spin on a plot that has been used before and has some well rounded characters. His world building is done well, creating different races and cultures in worlds far apart. The Magician has everything a great fantasy epic should have: magic, magical weapons and armour, dragons, elves, dwarves and more.

In my opinion, this is a great fantasy novel and is a much loved classic that deserves a space on the shelf of any true fantasy fan. This one gets 4 out of 5 golden bookmarks from me. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
(For the series:) Midkemia with Seven Kingdoms and Kesh, Tsurani, rifts Much intrigue, some geopolitics, good character development and world-building. With Vaeloru (powerful masters who enslaved elves), elves of various varieties. ( )
  kashcit | Feb 27, 2018 |
This is the first book in Raymond Feist's huge, mega volume saga set on the worlds of Midkemia and Kelewan. As a games designer, Feist is familiar with a fantasy setting and this book, detailing the invasion of Midkemia by the Tsurani of Kelewan is set in a world that would be almost familiar to the average inhabitant of mediaeval Europe, though some of the tactics and weaponry presented here would seem to be more at home a few centuries later - that's Midkemia. Kelewan, The home world of the Tsurani seems more happily based on an idea of Japan of a similar time period, though Kelewan is more of a cypher than Midkemia in this particular book.

Like a lot of fantasy books of this era, we have a young boy who dreams of better things - first a rather improbable (though not improper!) friendship with his lord's daughter then a magician's apprentice, though he's not very good at putting his master's lessons into practice. When an alien ship arrives off the coast of Crydee - Pug's home town, the Duke decides that news of this possible invasion has to get to the King in the far off east. He takes Pug and his friend Tomas along as witnesses but there are aliens in the forests between Crydee and the rest of the Kingdom who decimate the duke's party, chasing them into the deep mines of the dwarves. There, Tomas gets separated from the rest of the party. In this edition we get the full story of what the participants think of as the Rift War - later editions split the story into two sections.

Although not quite as obvious in this book as in others in the series, the fact of Feist's game design background can sometimes have the sound of dice rattling around in the background, and the 'powering up' of the various characters can be seen as the series continues. This reread actually went quite well ( )
  JohnFair | May 29, 2017 |
For my Year of Nostalgic Rereads, this is another "must". I owned a complete set of Raymond Feist's novels, all but four being first editions, losing them, unfortunately, to smoke damage from a fire. The edition of this book came from Feist's own author's stock, and the inscription reads: For Jim!
Sorry your collection was lost. Hope this helps in getting another one going!
...and signed.

I read this when it was first published and was enthralled from page one. That Feist sustained this start through 29 subsequent books is not surprising. He crafts great stories and tells them well, weaving intrigue and pagentry, breadth and depth, in an epic encounter with superb fiction. I look forward to enjoying the rest of Midkemia again at a leisurely pace, and I look forward to his new series. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Despite trying to enjoy this book more, I just couldn't. I liked aspects, but found myself more enthralled by the Tsurani storyline and people than the major characters.

I first read Feist's Empire Trilogy, which inspired me to read more of his work. I have been unable to enjoy others as much, though.

I understand this is one of his earlier works, but even reading the revised edition didn't do it for me.

There were enjoyable aspects and I find his characters endearing and spark emotion in me, but for me there was simply too much battle and not much of anything else.

I'll still read the next two with hope I'll find them more enjoyable. ( )
  ashooles | Apr 23, 2017 |

Raymond E. Feistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gatti, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guarnieri, AnnaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A boy's will is the wind's will.
And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts.
—Longfellow, My Lost Youth

We were, fair queen,
Two lads that thought there was no more behind
But such a day to-morrow as to-day,
And to be boy eternal.
-SHAKESPEARE,
The Winter's Tale,
Act 1, Scene 2
Dit boek is opgedragen aan de herinnering aan mijn vader Felix E. Feist, in alle opzichten een magiër.

This book is dedicated to the memory of my father, Felix E. Feist, in all ways, a magician.
The storm had broken.
This work contains both "Magician: Apprentice" and "Magician: Master".
The original UK editions in one volume (this work) were split into two volumes for the US market.

Raymond E. Feist's classic fantasy epic, Magician, has enchanted readers for over twenty years. The revised edition was prepared to celebrate the tenth anniversary of its publication, and incorporates over 15,000 words of text omitted from previous editions. At Crydee, a frontier outpost in the tranquil Kingdom of the Isles, an orphan boy, Pug, is apprenticed to a master magician -- and the destinies of two worlds are changed forever. Suddenly the peace of the Kingdom is destroyed as mysterious alien invaders swarm the land. Pug is swept up into the conflict but for him and his warrior friend, Tomas, an odyssey into the unknown has only just begun. Tomas will inherit a legacy of savage power from an ancient civilization. Pug's destiny is to lead him through a rift in the fabric of space and time to the mastery of the unimaginable powers of a strange new magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

"At Crydee, a frontier outpost in the tranquil Kingdom of the Isles, an orphan boy, Pug, is apprenticed to a master magician - and the destinies of two worlds are changed forever. Suddenly the peace of the Kingdom is destroyed as mysterious alien invaders swarm the land. Pug is swept up into the conflict but for him and his warrior friend, Tomas, an odyssey into the unknown has only just begun. Tomas will inherit a legacy of savage power from an ancient civilization. Pug's destiny is to lead him through a rift in the fabric of space and time to the mastery of the unimaginable powers of a strange new magic."--Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,501,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible