Naked Came the Manatee by Carl Hiaasen

Naked Came the Manatee

by Carl Hiaasen (Contributor), Brian Antoni (Contributor), Dave Barry (Contributor), Edna Buchanan (Contributor), Tananarive Due (Contributor)8 more, John Dufresne (Contributor), James W. Hall (Contributor), Vicki Hendricks (Contributor), Carolina Hospital (Contributor), Elmore Leonard (Contributor), Paul Levine (Contributor), Evelyn Mayerson (Contributor), Les Standiford (Contributor)

I forgot to record this when I read it, but I recall being underwhelmed. I think it was praobaly around 2004. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | May 20, 2017 |
Fun book, interesting way to get a bunch of authors to write one book together. But at the same time...you get a bunch of authors to write one book and a couple of your authors are buttheads. I love Carl Haiasson and Dave Barry, but there are a couple of authors in the book who's chapters took a complete 180 away from main story.

Luckily for us Carl Haiasson ends the book and so he's able to take all the loose ends and weave them into a final ending that does the book justice.

Another good read. Gritty and silly, a good book for the summer. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
The structure of "Naked came the Manatee" reminds me of a game we played in primary school; Person A writes something, passes it onto Person B, who adds to Person A's story, etc., so it ends up like Chinese Whispers. The end result of "Naked came the manatee" is somewhat better written than what my fellow students and I came up with but reading it made me nostalgic for books with a single author.

It was disjointed but it was also not overly interesting and it was only a testament to my staying power that I finished the book. Still, others with more nostalgic memories of their primary school class writing projects may enjoy it more. ( )
  MiaCulpa | May 9, 2016 |
The concept is more fun than the book. If I knew some of the characters from other books written by some of these authors, I might have liked it more. Fidel Castro and international conspiracies figure in this fast-paced, humorous story. ( )
  raizel | Jan 5, 2016 |
A little uneven, but quite entertaining! ( )
  sharoncville3579 | Jan 24, 2015 |

Leonard, ElmoreContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Levine, PaulContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mayerson, EvelynContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Standiford, LesContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Saturday night, Coconut Grove. It was the usual scene: thousands of people, not one of whom a normal person would call normal. [Dave Barry]

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449001245, Paperback)

Dave Barry starts the madness in Naked Came the Manatee, introducing a 102-year-old environmentalist named Coconut Grove and a manatee saddled with one of Barry's favorite monikers, Booger. Carl Hiaasen closes down the party, and in between, 11 of Florida's literati, including Elmore Leonard, John Dufresne, and Edna Buchanan, make twisted offerings to the affair: three severed heads, all bearing a remarkable resemblance to Fidel Castro; four murders; some sex; some espionage; even an appearance by Jimmy Carter and one by Castro himself.

Originally published as a serial novel in the Miami Herald's Tropic magazine, Naked Came the Manatee resembles a literary game of telephone, with each writer contributing a chapter and passing it on to the next, who then makes the most of what he or she is given. The result is a novel with wildly fluctuating styles and more crazy plot curves than a daytime drama, but thanks to these 13 masters of the craft this roller coaster of a book is almost as much fun to read as it obviously was to write.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

A comic mystery written by 13 authors, each of whom contributed a chapter, often including characters from his other books. The plot concerns a 102-year-old woman swimmer in Florida, defending the environment with the help of a sea cow. She becomes involved with drug smugglers, Cuban revanchists and murder.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,407,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible