The Timberframe Way: A lavishly illustrated…

The Timberframe Way: A lavishly illustrated guide to the most elegant way… (2003)

by Dick Pirozzolo, Michael Morris

1011,346,567 (3)None
Timberframe homes--also known as post-and-beam homes--have long set the standard for integrity and elegance, and the authors of The Timberframe Way have built some of the best. Here in one book is a careful study of all the elements that make a timberframe home both a lifestyle and a work of art. Every construction method is covered, from prefabricated, manufactured kits to "one-off" frames hand-hewn by independent craftsmen using traditional methods. Topics include everything from checking out kits to choosing materials for the roof to transforming old barns into homes. Attention is also given to interior elements of construction and design, as well as to products and decor that are especially suited to the rugged beauty of the timberframe home. There are chapters on outfitting the kitchen, managing traffic patterns between rooms, selecting furniture to complement the wide open spaces of the timberframe home, and even choosing lighting fixtures. From the first inspiration to the final touches, The Timberframe Way is the complete introduction to the art of the timberframe home.… (more)

I took this book from the library as part of my preparation before going to inspect a house for sale that I suspected might be old post-and-beam construction. I've read the "Not-so-Big House" books over the last decade, and more recently I've been reading about the "Small House" movement, and looking at floor plans for houses as small as 165 sq. ft. I've also been visiting various ReStore and salvage stores to see how much I can avoid cutting down trees - especially old-growth trees - to build a house. So, as I probably should have suspected, this was *not* a useful book for me at this point in time.

The houses featured are more like barns, albeit richly decorated and furnished ones. The cover of the book says "the appeal of simplicity", and every time I sat down to read more I would end up angrily showing a picture to my husband and saying "Can you see any simplicity here? Because I can't!"

If you want to be inspired by big, colour photos of lofty ceilings and exposed timbers, you may very well enjoy this book. It didn't work for me.
  kirstenn | Jul 31, 2010 |

Pirozzolo, Dickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morris, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,719,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible