Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert…

Introduction to Linear Algebra

by Gilbert Strang

Book Description: Gilbert Strang's textbooks have changed the entire approach to learning linear algebra -- away from abstract vector spaces to specific examples of the four fundamental subspaces: the column space and nullspace of A and A'. Introduction to Linear Algebra, Fourth Edition includes challenge problems to complement the review problems that have been highly praised in previous editions. The basic course is followed by seven applications: differential equations, engineering, graph theory, statistics, Fourier methods and the FFT, linear programming, and computer graphics. Thousands of teachers in colleges and universities and now high schools are using this book, which truly explains this crucial subject.… (more)

I used it in my class. ( )
  m.vavalis | Jul 30, 2009 |
After reading Gilbert Strang's book on Linear Algebra, well, it all made sense.

I must say, first off, that Linear Algebra and I have a bit of a shady past. The course covering it in the most depth did not agree with me initially in college, so I was forced to try to defeat this foe once again. Since then, I have read the entirety of this book, as most mathematics courses only use a strict subset of the text in the teaching of the class.

So what's the big deal about Linear Algebra? Well, for starters, did you know that the concept of it came before any practical application was discovered? Crazy, huh? Nowadays, though, it has all sorts of applications. For example, you could use matrices and vectors to solve multiple unknowns in a system of equations. Or, you could use a 4 x n matrix to represent a 3-dimensional object, allowing you to change the viewing angle with a 4 row vector. Or even, you could use linear algebra to solve problems dealing with imaginary numbers (where the real line is x and the imaginary line is the perpendicular y).

Wow!

So, this book, written by a man who's as devoted to the subject as you can get, writes about linear algebra beautifully, and even lays it out in an aesthetic manner using LaTeX, letting a computer deal with the finer points of readable layout, the way it should be!

I highly recommend this book to anybody dealing with any mathematics higher than trigonometry, at least as a reference. It can be loads of help for computer scientists as well (especially graphics programmers).

Though I recommend having some background in Algebra, Trigonometry, and Pre-Calculus before attempting all the chapters of this book. ( )
2 vote aethercowboy | Jul 8, 2009 |
May I dedicate this book to grandchildren who are very precious: Roger, Sophie, Kathryn, Alexander, Scott, Jack, William, Caroline, and Elizabeth. I hope you might take linear algebra one day. Especially I hope you like it. The author is proud of you.
The heart of linear algebra is in two operations—both with vectors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,345,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible