Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? by Jon…

Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge?

by Jon Scieszka

Other authors: Adam McCauley (Illustrator)

Series: Time Warp Trio (11)

320850,825 (3.45)None

For this reading log I read The Time Warp Trio: Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge?, by Jon Scieszka. I definitely enjoyed this story for many reasons. The message of this series is to provide many different historical backgrounds, time periods, and experiences in order to pass this knowledge to children in a fun and hilarious way.

Firstly, this story is engaging to its readers and utilizes several strategies to achieve this. There are illustrations that can be found everywhere in this book. This is a chapter book, and I was definitely pleasantly surprised to see how many illustrations were included. At some points, they are small, but at others, they take up an entire page. At the very end on page 71, we see the trio going back to their original time period instead of 1877 Brooklyn, NY. There is a full page of illustration to help the reader visualize the scene. They overall help convey what is happening in the story and provides extra clarification.

Furthermore, when the trio arrive in the new time period, they provide lots of helpful knowledge that shows the reader the information and book is accurate to the time it is portraying. One character named Samza says, “The towers were finished by 1876. All the cables were done by 1878. So we are somewhere between those two dates.” This character was very into research and information, and helps set up the accurate time period through a realistic and descriptive manner.

Finally, this story includes the trio, who are 3 boys, and their 3 great-granddaughters they met in a previous book in the series. This creates a very large potential audience, as kids like to read about characters similar to themselves. Both the male and female characters create hysterical dialogue, alone and together, which adds a lot to the story. Towards the middle of the story, Sam and Samza are having a small argument, which ends up being humorous as you read it. They go back and forth saying things like “You said it, I don’t know, you should know, I don’t, get lost, we’re going to be!” These types of little arguments definitely happen amongst boys and girls their age, so it becomes engaging and relatable to the readers. ( )
  jbalk1 | Oct 10, 2017 |
Jon Scieszka is the Author of the book Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge. He was a teacher at a school in New York. Scieszka is a teacher, a writer, a lifeguard and a painter. The book begins with Fred, Joe and Sam on top of a building. As they walk towards the other end of the building they discover that the building is not completely finished. Throughout the book the three boys try to save inventions like the light bulb and the phonography. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest of imagination.
I hope to one day have the collection of these books sitting in my class room library. This book is one of the best books ive read. I wish they would come up with more but they havent yet. When i grow up i hope that i can make books like these ones.
  Curtiss37 | Jun 1, 2012 |
  curtiss.wilson37 | Jun 1, 2012 |
  curtiss.wilson37 | Jan 21, 2011 |
Jon Scieszka is the Author of the book Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge?. He was a teacher at a school in New York, New York. Along with various books he writes magazine articles. Scieszka is not only a teacher and a writer but a lifeguard and a painter. The book begins with Fred, Joe and Sam on top of a building. As they walk towards the other end of the building they discover that the building is not completely finished. Throughout the book the three boys try to save inventions such as the light bulb and the phonography. I think this book is good because it not only discuses inventions from a while ago but it also could lead to students performing math problems. One math problem could be how much material is needed to complete the bridge. This book makes students think but it a fun way. ( )
  keelhm01 | Nov 10, 2009 |

Scieszka, Jonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCauley, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142400890, Paperback)

Joe, Fred, and Sam, the Time Warp Trio, should know better by now than to mess around with The Book--a magical book given to Joe by his uncle. But this time they really think they have things under control... until Sam's latest invention, the Graphi-Sonic, accidentally interfaces with The Book, and the boys wind up traveling back in time to 1877. At least they recognize the turf--it's still their hometown of Brooklyn, minus the cars and skyscrapers. And plus one very addled Thomas Edison. Not to mention the trio's great-granddaughters from the future, who have (still with us?) inherited The Book. Now, all they have to do is find The Book (which is missing again) and skedaddle back to the future before the phonograph and light bulb and Edison's other inventions lose their chance of being invented.

The many fans of Jon Scieszka's Time Warp Trio sequence (2095, etc.) will be thrilled to delve into another illogical, madcap, even slightly educational adventure with the hapless time-traveling lads. (Ages 7 to 11) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:36 -0400)

Thanks to their magical book, Fred, Sam, and Joe inadvertently travel through time to 1877 New York City, where they and their granddaughters, who have also come from the future, help them find a way back to their own time.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,726,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible