Golden Fool by Robin Hobb

Golden Fool (2003)

by Robin Hobb

Series: Tawny Man Trilogy (2), Realm of the Elderlings (8)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (33)
Dit tweede boek in de derde serie over de Ouderlingen door [a:Robin Hobb|25307|Robin Hobb|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1397885202p2/25307.jpg] legt de fundamenten voor het beslissende derde deel. Het was leuk om een aantal karakters uit de Levende Schepen trilogie hun, tijdelijke, opwachting zien maken in Hertenhorst.

Fitz rouwt in dit boek veel over zijn wolf - nachtogen -, die in het eerste deel stierf. Hij voelt zich eenzaam, en uiteindelijk keert hij terug naar zijn oude wereld in Hertenhorst. Ditmaal echter niet als FitzChevalric, maar als Tom Dassenkop, de bediende en lijfwacht van heer Gouden, wat echter weer een dekmantel is om vrijelijk door het kasteel te lopen.

Fitz leert meer over de Nar. Iets wat hun verhoudingen veranderd. Voor de oplettende lezer was dit allemaal echter geen verrassing. Fitz, en eigenlijk de hele cultuur van de 6 Hertogdommen, is duidelijk anti-homoseksueel ( )
  EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
I don't often read books in series one after the other but I acquired the 3 tawny man books all at once from the Oxfam shop and they are just what I need at the moment - not challenging, rather escapist, but full of interest. This middle book in particular is full of things happening - up and down to the tower, up and down to Buckfast town, sessions with guardsman training, sessions with skill training - and so on and so on. Not really sure where it has got us except set up for the journey to take place in the third book (I presume) but it's been busy but comfortable. Still not enough on the Fool/Tawny Man - hope the third book delivers.... ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
I am currently rereading the Elderling books by audio so I can read the final? Fitz trilogy. It's strange because I absolutely loved these books when I read them many years ago but I'd forgotten how much I loved them. Now listening to the audiobook I am remembering how much I loved the characters and falling in love with Fitz, the Fool, Dutiful, Chade, Thick and Kettricken all over again. In fact there's one section where Dutiful is telling Fitz that Kettricken calls him Sacrifice for the Six Duchies and to her that means she sees him as the true king and I am in tears in the car!
I am now moving on to the final book and I don't remember much of that other than bawling my eyes out at the end because of the unexpected happy ending for Fitz . ( )
  infjsarah | May 12, 2018 |
This is the first book in the series that I haven't read more than once. That is, this is my first time rereading it in over seven years. I remember loving it - which should come as no surprise - but I couldn't remember much of it other than several poignant moments... And I had so much fun reminding myself of why I love it so much. The focus on characters and relationships was wonderful; I absolutely love both the old characters and the new. And of course those that are old but never cease to develop and change (like a father Fitz - there is nothing more awesome than that).
This book ends at - not a cliff-hanger - but more like at the middle of things. It was more of a transition book, I would say, and now the story is all set for the beginning of the final adventure that these characters are about to embark on, for better or for worse. I barely remember anything that follows this, so I'm more than enthused to begin reading the third and final book! ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Beautiful book which finally ties in the Bingtown/Cursed Shore incidents with the Six Duchies. The mechanics of the Skill and the Wit are further explored and the relationship between Fitz/Fool/Chade/Kettricken are delightful as ever.

Contains a few very significant revelations as well. ( )
  Crontab_e | Sep 19, 2017 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The loss of a bond beast is a difficult event to explain to the non-Witted.
-- Prologue
The Piebalds always claimed only to want freedom from the persecution that has been the lot of the Witted folk of the Six Duchies for generations.
-- Chapter One

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553582453, Mass Market Paperback)

The acclaimed Farseer and Liveship Traders trilogies established Robin Hobb as one of the most splendidly imaginative practitioners of world-class fantasy.

Now, in Book 2 of her most stunning trilogy yet, Hobb continues the soul-shattering tale of FitzChivalry Farseer. With rich characters, breathtaking magic, and sweeping action, Golden Fool brings the reluctant adventurer further into the fray in an epic of sacrifice, salvation, and untold treachery.

Golden Fool

Prince Dutiful has been rescued from his Piebald kidnappers and the court has resumed its normal rhythms. But for FitzChivalry Farseer, a return to isolation is impossible. Though gutted by the loss of his wolf bondmate, Nighteyes, Fitz must take up residence at Buckkeep and resume his tasks as Chade’s apprentice assassin. Posing as Tom Badgerlock, bodyguard to Lord Golden, FitzChivalry becomes the eyes and ears behind the walls. And with his old mentor failing visibly, Fitz is forced to take on more burdens as he attempts to guide a kingdom straying closer to civil strife each day.

The problems are legion. Prince Dutiful’s betrothal to the Narcheska Elliania of the Out Islands is fraught with tension, and the Narcheska herself appears to be hiding an array of secrets. Then, amid Piebald threats and the increasing persecution of the Witted, FitzChivalry must ensure that no one betrays the Prince’s secret—a secret that could topple the Farseer throne: that he, like Fitz, possesses the dread “beast magic.”

Meanwhile, FitzChivalry must impart to the Prince his limited knowledge of the Skill: the hereditary and addictive magic of the Farseers. In the process, they discover within Buckkeep one who has a wild and powerful talent for it, and whose enmity for Fitz may have disastrous consequences for all.

Only Fitz’s enduring friendship with the Fool brings him any solace. But even that is shattered when unexpected visitors from Bingtown reveal devastating secrets from the Fool’s past. Now, bereft of support and adrift in intrigue, Fitz’s biggest challenge may be simply to survive the inescapable and violent path that fate has laid out for him.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

Taking up residence at Buckkeep as a spy, FitzChivalry Farseer navigates the complex intrigues of the court as he seeks to unravel the secrets of Prince Dutiful's betrothed and sort out his own chaotic personal life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,020,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible