dismiss

Viking Unchained

by Sandra Hill

Series: Viking Series II (8)

Searching for his little boy, 11th century Viking Thorfinn lands in modern times, where he stumbles upon a dead wringer for his cheating ex-wife. Single mom Lydia Denton mourns the loss of her SEAL husband. Then she meets a man who resembles him. Despite Thorfinn's strange accusations, Lydia finds it impossible to ignore the chemistry between them. And as she gets to know this handsome Viking, she can't help but wonder whether two souls, separated by time, have found their way back together.… (more)

I've read all of Sandra Hill's 'viking' series and enjoyed every one of them. I have to say that her latest "Viking Unchained" isn't the best of them, but it was still an entertaining read for me as it gives quick glimpses into the lives of most all of the other time-traveling Vikings from her earlier books.

Thorfinn has sworn off love. Sex is fine, but love is just asking to be crushed. His first wife ran off, and he didn't necessarily miss her, BUT she took his beloved son with her and that broke his heart. On the trail of yet another rumor regarding his errant wife and child, he ends up in Baghdad. Returning from another fruitless search, he's attacked by a band of natives. Imagine his surprise when he is 'saved' by a group of modern Navy SEALs!

Lydia is still in mourning after 5 years. Her Navy SEAL husband was killed on an op leaving her with only memories and a bun in the oven. At the insistence of her friends, she goes out and meets a man who could be her dead husband's twin, right down to the same eyes! Only after she takes him home and sexes him up does she finally admit he's not her ex. But now Finn has seen a picture of her son...and he's positive that her son Mike is somehow his lost child...and he's not leaving the child's side. But Lydia is adamant that she cannot love another military man with the attendant risks. Who will break first?

I enjoyed the WAY hot sex, the constant bickering between the Vikings/SEALs, the glimpses into the current lives of couples from past viking books. What I didn't like: he reminds her of her 5 years dead hubby so she immediately takes him home? Uh, no! He treats her like an ancient Viking would (she is a woman, interchangeable, unimportant, etc) and she puts up with it? Umm, I don't think so! When he tells her about his true past, she pretty much just accepts it? Uh huh, sure. When he states they will live together and raise her son, she doesn't take out a restraining order? Ooooookay.

So I would really give the book 3.5 stars but rounded it up as I've enjoyed her others so much. I didn't like Finn so much til the last couple of chapters. I guess he was just toooooo Viking for me. ( )
  jjmachshev | Jul 9, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,277,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible