dismiss

The Not So Big House: A Blueprint for the Way We Really Live (1998)

by Sarah Susanka

Ten years ago, Sarah Susanka started a revolution in home design with a deceptively simple message: quality should always come before quantity. Now, the book that celebrated that bold declaration is back in this special 10th anniversary edition featuring a new introduction and 16 additional pages that explore three new homes. Nearly a quarter-million people bought this ground-breaking book when it was published in Fall 1998. Since then, the book's simple message -- that quality should come before quantity -- has started a movement in home design. Homeowners now know to expect more. And the people responsible for building our homes have also gotten the message. Architects and builders around the country report clients showing up with dog-eared copies of The Not So Big House, pages marked to a favorite section. Why are we drawn more to smaller, more personal spaces than to larger, more expansive ones? Why do we spend more time in the kitchen than we do in the formal dining room? The Not So Big House proposes clear, workable guidelines for creating homes that serve both our spiritual needs and our material requirements, whether for a couple with no children, a family, empty nesters, or one person alone. In 1999, Sarah Susanka was then architect and principal with Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady & Partners, the firm selected to design the 1999 Life Dream House brought Frank Lloyd Wright's same common-sense, human-scale design principles to our generation. Consider which rooms in your house you use and enjoy most, and you have a sense of the essential principles of The Not So Big House. Whether you seek comfort and calm or activity and energy at home, The Not So Big House offers a place for every mood.… (more)
Recently added bynickfoettinger, dttocs, GenevieveDemosKelley, private library, valencian, RobinBier, ktkeith

Ok
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
This is the 2008 edition, revised somewhat and expanded from the original 1998 version. Excellent ideas and explanations.
  Suziere | Jan 24, 2016 |
For a while there, people wanted large houses—big kitchens, big vaults, big bedrooms. But now, with a greater social awareness and rapid population comes the thought that there might be a limit to how much living space a person actually needs. Sarah Susanka’s The Not So Big House takes a look at how living spaces can be modified or built to accommodate a whole range of needs without becoming sprawling ranch houses.

When square footage is limited, details are important. The setup and flow of each room must maximize their utility. Susanka’s tour of dozens of houses and floorplans shows the reader how to conceptualize their space and build accordingly. What is most stunning about this is the hundreds of photos throughout. Floorplans are nice, but actually seeing a space is necessary when talking about it. There are few famous houses here, including Wright’s Goetsch-Winkler House and a few by Le Corbusier.

All in all, this is a handy guide for building a new house or remodeling an existing space that discourages lavishness. Instead, Susanka asks the reader to really think about how they live and what rooms mean the most to them. After that, it’s the details that make a house a home. I got a great deal of ideas from this book, and I suspect other readers may as well. An engaging and vibrant book. ( )
  NielsenGW | Jan 3, 2015 |
Interesting concept about the space we live in. Quality above quantity. A house that fits the way one lives and reflects what one appreciates. Much of it harkened to the arts and crafts style and Frank Lloyd Wright's Prairie and Usonian houses.
  ellenr | Nov 11, 2010 |
A delightful book of interior design ideas, pictures, inspiration. You ask yourself, is your house meeting the needs of your present style of living ? What extra spaces do we have that we do not use ? There are so many delightful photographs and new ideas. There is a fireplace with enormous rocks,a window seat,one of my favorites, bookcases just below the ceiling, a nice roomy computer area.

Planning ideas, such as a "wish list" aside a "reality list".
  carterchristian1 | Jul 8, 2010 |

"Think small: In an age of McMansions and exponentially expanding square footage THE NOT SO BIG HOUSE is a welcome call for reordering priorities -- provides numerous strategies that help small space think big"

From Library JournalArchitect Susanka believes that the large homes being built today place too much emphasis on square footage rather than on current lifestyles. Here she shows how homes can be designed to feature "adaptable spaces open to one another, designed for everyday use." She describes how to examine occupants' lifestyles, how to incorporate the kitchen as the focal point of the home, how to give the illusion of space, and how, with storage, lighting, and furniture arrangement, a smaller home can be comfortably livable. Photographs of contemporary homes as well as those by Frank Lloyd Wright and other modern architects illustrate Susanka's ideas and show the timelessness of the style she advocates. This thought-provoking book will be a good addition to architectural and interior design collections.Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,815,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible