The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

The Compound

by S.A. Bodeen

Series: Compound (1)

After his parents, two sisters, and he have spent six years in a vast underground compound built by his wealthy father to protect them from a nuclear holocaust, fifteen-year-old Eli, whose twin brother and grandmother were left behind, discovers that his father has perpetrated a monstrous hoax on them all.… (more)

I didn't really like this as much as others have. I didn't think the characters were very developed, and Eli's quick turnaround from jerk to nice guy wasn't all that believable. Overall, a good concept, but poorly executed. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
The over arching theme of this novel is to do what it takes to survive. The main character Eli, took control when he realized his father was going crazy. He did whatever he could to keep his family and loved ones safe from harm. ( )
  astump3 | Sep 27, 2017 |
Wow! What an exciting read "The Compound" turned out to be. The plot line reminded me a little of The City of Ember, but on a much smaller scale with only a billionaire and his family seeking safety underground from a nuclear explosion. However, "The Compound" had far more twists and turns, and I was on the edge of my seat all through the second half. The story started well and continued to gather speed as Eli slowly uncovered shocking surprises and secrets that were never supposed to be revealed. Insanity, dwindling food supplies, unexplained discrepancies and creepy goings-on led Eli on a frantic mission to save his family.

At the start, I wasn't a fan of Eli. He was sullen, selfish and antisocial, but he did step=up and mature as he realised that things weren't what they seemed, despite his father's assurances. Once he started questioning what was happening and why, he became far more likeable and his interactions with his siblings finally won my approval.

If you're looking for a suspenseful, thrilling and action-packed read, "The Compound" , is certainly worth a try. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Sep 20, 2017 |
Slow start but it gets much better. I enjoyed it. ( )
  taranator | Jul 11, 2017 |
Entertaining, but predictable. I wasn't aware that it's a series? ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
This is the way the world ends/This is the way the world ends/This is the way the world ends/Not with a bang but a whimper. ~T.S. Eliot
For Bailey
T.S. Eliot was wrong. My world ended with a bang the minute we entered the Compound and that silver door closed behind us.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,823,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible