This Land Is Their Land: Reports from a Divided Nation (2008)

by Barbara Ehrenreich

5642042,347 (3.47)19
Ehrenreich's second work of satirical commentary reflects on one of the cruelest decades in memory--the 2000's--in which she finds a nation scarred by deepening inequality, corroded by distrust, and shamed by its official cruelty.

I enjoyed this book. The book read like a bunch of blog posts, which I liked for the ease of read. The author really does a great job of whittling down the big problems of the country and writing about them in a humorous, yet sincere, way. ( )
  lemontwist | Sep 3, 2023 |
This was an excellent book...Barbara Ehrenreich tells it as it is, and now, just when the election campaign is on the last chapter, incredibly fresh in its view of the US, despite its date of publication. ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |
A series of short essays on various rants on inequality, middle class war, health and religion. Many were quite humorous. Great book! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 27, 2017 |
I happen to agree with Ms. Ehrenreich on 99% of points, but her writing style at times rubbed me the wrong way, especially when she was deriding people for believing in God. I am sure a lot of the incendiary comments were there just to annoy conservatives, but it distracted from my enjoyment of the book.

5 stars for content, 2 stars for writing style. ( )
1 vote WeaselOfDoom | Jun 3, 2015 |
The author got a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong. Where she was right, she was sickeningly smug and where she was wrong was downright sickening. I didn't appreciate the Michael Moorean approach of presenting facts that agree with you and supressing ones that don't. Also, it was not pleasant to sit through hours of tedious pessimism only to end the book with no real positive solutions. ( )
1 vote jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
To all the under-appreciated people who make books possible and available—editorial assistants, copy editors, proofreaders, publicists, print industry workers, truck drivers, and bookstore workers.
For a year or so at the beginning of the millennium, Americans were swept up in a spasm of unity.

Remainder $6.98 HBSW

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,446,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible