The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter
8522910,533 (4)9

English (29)  German (1)  All languages (30)
The LOTU have been rockin' my world lately but I knew this would be a hard book to read. Reyes, keeper of Pain, never really interested me that much and as soon as it became clear Danika would be his HEA I was even less interested. As keeper of Pain I thought his story could go in some deliciously dark and kinky places. Sadly, it did not. Reyes certainly was tortured enough but I never connected with him like I did with Lucien. Danika was fine as a heroine but even with her special status I didn't feel her either.

It was great seeing Anya again and having her play an active role with the Lords. The friendship between Torin and Cameo was a surprise as was the demon Legion keeping Aeron company. I love the interaction between the Lords. Poor Reyes trying to make Danika some sandwiches and having them snatched away by half the household was cute.

I really like this series and this was more of a 2-1/2 star read than a solid two. The Lords are still interesting. Cronus is still a bastard and a new development amongst the Hunters will keep me tuning in. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
Amazing! I can't believe how freaking good this series is turning out to be for me. Loved every little thing about this; all the pain, suffering, sexy and hot times, the building of an awesome relationship between two incredibly different people and see how that ended.

It amazes me how Gena Showalter manages to entwine all of her subplots into that main plot and not make the book a bore. I can't wait to see how things are going to turn out for the rest of these yummy demons. ( )
  msralways | Feb 3, 2015 |
After the last book, I've been desperate to read more about Paris (Promiscuity). It was heartbreaking to see him plead for Serena's return to Cronos, who even though he said he wasn't as cruel as the bastard Greek, Zeus, he bloody well was! He gave Paris hope on the one hand and crushed it with the other, taunting him with it. Ass-hole!

Anyway, this was meant to be Reyes's (Pain) book. Yes, it was good. Danika was extremely practical and resourceful, and although she did her best to resist Reyes and hate him, she couldn't not accept that he was loving and caring, completely at odds with the Hunters' description of a bloodthirsty evil demon.

I loved Danika's family and their changing attitude once Reyes broke down and sobbed at Danika's death/kidnapping. They were a formidable family of women. God help any man that comes between them and what they want!

Overall, a wonderful story and another step closer to finding Pandora's Box. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I'm only three books into the series, but this was my favorite so far. Reyes has thought of nothing but Danika since they met months ago (under circumstances no one wants to be in), and Danika, while hating the warriors for forcing her family to in into hiding, can't stop thinking about Reyes. After a murder and being captured by Hunters, Danika agrees to infiltrate the fortress and learn what she can about the warriors' and their plans to find the artifacts. All Danika wants to know is what happened to her mother, sister and grandmother.

While in Buda she gets the chance to confront Aeron about her family but doesn't get the news she wants to hear. Certain revelations come to light about the second artifact, forcing an escape, which in turn leads to a reunion. The first of two big shockers (at least to me), was learning who the leader of the Hunters is; the second shocker was the decision Paris ended up making.

A good ending, a lot better than Lucien and Anya's ending. I can't wait to get to Aeron's, Paris' and Torin's stories. ( )
  scottnl | Dec 22, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. I think the more I read this series, the more I like it. I really enjoy reading about how the the Lords fight to keep their morals while still satisfying their demons. I really liked Reyes. I think he is my favorite Lord so far. I enjoyed Danika, but not as much as Anya.

The story takes some great turns. We learn more about the Demons and their hosts. There is also some very shocking news about the Hunters. Overall a very good story. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Reyes stood on the roof of his Budapest fortress, five stories up, his feet balanced percariously on the highest ledge.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373773102, Mass Market Paperback)

Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her--even defy the gods.

Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

Reyes, a possessed man bound by the demon of pain and forbidden all pleasure, is drawn to Danika Ford, a mortal woman on the run who has eluded the Lords of Underworld for months but who cannot forget Reyes's searing touch.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible