The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter
779None11,818 (3.99)9

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
I'm only three books into the series, but this was my favorite so far. Reyes has thought of nothing but Danika since they met months ago (under circumstances no one wants to be in), and Danika, while hating the warriors for forcing her family to in into hiding, can't stop thinking about Reyes. After a murder and being captured by Hunters, Danika agrees to infiltrate the fortress and learn what she can about the warriors' and their plans to find the artifacts. All Danika wants to know is what happened to her mother, sister and grandmother.

While in Buda she gets the chance to confront Aeron about her family but doesn't get the news she wants to hear. Certain revelations come to light about the second artifact, forcing an escape, which in turn leads to a reunion. The first of two big shockers (at least to me), was learning who the leader of the Hunters is; the second shocker was the decision Paris ended up making.

A good ending, a lot better than Lucien and Anya's ending. I can't wait to get to Aeron's, Paris' and Torin's stories. ( )
  scottnl | Dec 22, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. I think the more I read this series, the more I like it. I really enjoy reading about how the the Lords fight to keep their morals while still satisfying their demons. I really liked Reyes. I think he is my favorite Lord so far. I enjoyed Danika, but not as much as Anya.

The story takes some great turns. We learn more about the Demons and their hosts. There is also some very shocking news about the Hunters. Overall a very good story. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Another excellent book, and finally, Reyes / Pain is able to feel pleasure as well. Danika proved to be a very nice surprise, she's strong, able and ready to do what needs to be done. She will surely be able to help my favorite warriors in their fight against the hunters. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
This book is temporarily DNF for me, as I'm just not interested in the Lords of the Underworld at the moment. These guys aren't doing it for me...
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
The Darkest Pleasure
3.5 Stars

Synopsis
Reyes is possessed by the demon of Pain and can only experience pleasure when he is in agony. He also craves the love of a mortal woman, Danika Ford, who has been targeted by the Gods for reasons unknown and the only way he can win her love is to defy the Gods and his fellow warriors as well.

Review
After reading book #1, I was really looking forward to this story and most of my expectations were met.

The romance between Reyes and Danika is satisfying as they have a powerful chemistry and the conflict between Danika's loyalty to her family and her attraction to Reyes is well played out. Nevertheless, they are not as appealing as individuals. Reyes's affliction is distasteful (through no fault of his own but there are a few "icky" scenes) and Danika's willingness to act on behalf of the hunters until well into the book makes it difficult to completely identify with her.

The development of the overall story arc is the most compelling aspect of the book, especially the twists and turns with the All Seeing Eye and the well written action scenes. However, one issue that annoyed me in particular was the question of whether or not Aeron killed Danika's grandmother. Why didn't they just ask Lucien if he escorted her soul anywhere?

The set-up of Paris and Sienna's story also continues, and the more insight into his nature we get, the more I feel for him and the more eager I am to read his book (although I still have quite a way to go until then).

Overall, not a bad story and I will be continuing.
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Reyes stood on the roof of his Budapest fortress, five stories up, his feet balanced percariously on the highest ledge.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373773102, Mass Market Paperback)

Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her--even defy the gods.

Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:35 -0400)

Reyes, a possessed man bound by the demon of pain and forbidden all pleasure, is drawn to Danika Ford, a mortal woman on the run who has eluded the Lords of Underworld for months but who cannot forget Reyes's searing touch.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible