The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter

The Darkest Pleasure

by Gena Showalter

English (32)  German (1)  All languages (33)
The Darkest Pleasure
3.5 Stars

Synopsis
Reyes is possessed by the demon of Pain and can only experience pleasure when he is in agony. He also craves the love of a mortal woman, Danika Ford, who has been targeted by the Gods for reasons unknown and the only way he can win her love is to defy the Gods and his fellow warriors as well.

Review
After reading book #1, I was really looking forward to this story and most of my expectations were met.

The romance between Reyes and Danika is satisfying as they have a powerful chemistry and the conflict between Danika's loyalty to her family and her attraction to Reyes is well played out. Nevertheless, they are not as appealing as individuals. Reyes's affliction is distasteful (through no fault of his own but there are a few "icky" scenes) and Danika's willingness to act on behalf of the hunters until well into the book makes it difficult to completely identify with her.

The development of the overall story arc is the most compelling aspect of the book, especially the twists and turns with the All Seeing Eye and the well written action scenes. However, one issue that annoyed me in particular was the question of whether or not Aeron killed Danika's grandmother. Why didn't they just ask Lucien if he escorted her soul anywhere?

The set-up of Paris and Sienna's story also continues, and the more insight into his nature we get, the more I feel for him and the more eager I am to read his book (although I still have quite a way to go until then).

Overall, not a bad story and I will be continuing.
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This series reminds me a bit of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and that definitely isn't a bad thing! Love Reyes and Danika! Ready for the next one! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I had some trouble getting into this book but once I had I devoured it. Reyes, keeper of Pain, and Danika, keeper of his heart are both different people. Their constant running and distancing themselves did not endear them to me like it did in the other books. I am not quite sure why, it just didn't appeal to me well. Reyes need for pain was not my cup of tea either, but his devotion to Danika overwhelmed me eventually and everything ended up well. Danika, surprised me. Why she was being hunted hadn't occurred to me and their enemy, the leader of the Hunters, shocked me to the core, at first. Then it made terrifying sense. I'm not sure what is going to happen in the future of this band of brothers (and now sisters) but what I do know is that when evil clashes with good, much blood flows and the winner may not be the one you cheer for. Hopefully, dear, dear, dear. Hopefully things will work out. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Review Link: http://ow.ly/T8uin
Rating: 4 stars

To be honest, The Darkest Pleasure is the one book in Showalter’s Lord of the Underworld series that I wasn’t ecstatic to read. Not because I don’t like Reyes and Danika, but because I think the situation View Spoiler » just sucks and I feel really bad for them. It’s not their fault Cronus is a murderous bastard and uses the demons as henchmen to do what he can’t do for himself. I really like Danika and Reyes as a couple, but I hated to watch what they are come between them. Yes, I realize this pretty much happens to all the Lords of the Underworld couples, but y’all have to agree that Reyes and Danika really got the short end of the stick, right?

Still, I really enjoyed the book and was happy to finally pull on my big girl panties and give the book a chance! I cried, laughed, raged, and swooned with the characters of The Darkest Pleasure and would highly recommend readers of the series to pick this book up if they haven’t had a chance! It was nice to finally read Danika and Reyes’ book. ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Oct 7, 2015 |
The LOTU have been rockin' my world lately but I knew this would be a hard book to read. Reyes, keeper of Pain, never really interested me that much and as soon as it became clear Danika would be his HEA I was even less interested. As keeper of Pain I thought his story could go in some deliciously dark and kinky places. Sadly, it did not. Reyes certainly was tortured enough but I never connected with him like I did with Lucien. Danika was fine as a heroine but even with her special status I didn't feel her either.

It was great seeing Anya again and having her play an active role with the Lords. The friendship between Torin and Cameo was a surprise as was the demon Legion keeping Aeron company. I love the interaction between the Lords. Poor Reyes trying to make Danika some sandwiches and having them snatched away by half the household was cute.

I really like this series and this was more of a 2-1/2 star read than a solid two. The Lords are still interesting. Cronus is still a bastard and a new development amongst the Hunters will keep me tuning in. ( )
  Akaria | May 13, 2015 |

Gena Showalterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bellmore, MaxNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reyes stood on the roof of his Budapest fortress, five stories up, his feet balanced percariously on the highest ledge.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373773102, Mass Market Paperback)

Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her--even defy the gods.

Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:36 -0400)

Reyes, a possessed man bound by the demon of pain and forbidden all pleasure, is drawn to Danika Ford, a mortal woman on the run who has eluded the Lords of Underworld for months but who cannot forget Reyes's searing touch.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible