Superpowers by David J. Schwartz

Superpowers

by David J. Schwartz

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
The popularity of vampire stories (cruise the shelves of any bookstore) used to puzzle me until I heard the writer for True Blood , which I have never watched, say in an interview that he believes the fascination with vampires is about a fear of intimacy. That rings true to me. Then there is our fascination with superpowers, usually much less literary than the vampire thing. But there are a few novels, as opposed to novelizations of films, comic books or graphic novels. One is Soon I Will Be Invincible [book: Soon I Will Be Invincible] ; this is another. Schwartz follows a group of college students as they struggle with the sudden gift of superpowers, and so there are some overtones of Spider-Man here. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Schwartz is telling us that even with superpowers, life is still filled with problems. While that is a bit depressing, his message is neither bleak, nor even particularly original. They keep the streets of Madison safe, but face no supervillain or any major threat other than lawsuits and keeping up their GPAs. There is also some attempt at political allegory, observations of the media and law, even a tantalizing hint of other superheroes in the world. Alas, none of it really goes anywhere. I cannot recommend this lightweight, bland tale of nice kids with superpowers and personal tragedies. It might make a perfect show for the CW, but I doubt I would ever watch it.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Chris Hsiang (Mar 30, 2009)

David J. Schwartzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Breyfogle, NormCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It all started at a party, which is damn convenient if you ask me.

Madison, Wisconsin: In the summer of 2001, five college juniors wake up with . . . not just a hangover, but superpowers. . . .

Jack Robinson: Grew up on a farm, works in a chem lab, and brews his own beer. Age: 19. Superpower: SPEED.

Caroline Bloom: Has a flair for fashion design and a mother who’s completely out of touch. Works as a waitress for a lunatic boss.
Age: 20. Superpower: FLIGHT.

Harriet Bishop: Studied violin, guitar, and piano . . . and was terrible at them all. Now writes about music for the campus paper.
Age: 20. Superpower: ­INVISIBILITY.

Mary Beth Layton: Is managing a 3.8, but feels like she’s working three times as hard as the people around her.
Age: 20. Superpower: STRENGTH.

Charlie Frost: Has an anxious way about him, and always looks like he’s on day 101 of his most recent haircut.
Age: 20. Superpower: TELEPATHY.

But how do you adjust to an extraordinary ability when you’re an ordinary person? What if you’re not ready for the responsibility that comes with great power? And how do you keep your head in a world that’s going mad?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

A party in a college flat in May 2001. A case of dodgy home-brewed beer. A violent storm. Next day: the mother of all hangovers. What would you do if the the morning after the night before brought a banging head, a raging thirst - oh, and your very own superpower?… (more)

David J. Schwartz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,586,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible