Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1 by Kanata Konami

Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1

by Kanata Konami

3191952,520 (4.16)30

I think I found my next graphic novel series to binge read! The kitten is adorable throughout the book. Especially when she just rolls around. I absolutely love it and look forward to reading more adventures of the brave little kitten! ( )
  booklover3258 | May 2, 2019 |
DNF at page 66.

This is much too saccharine for me. The drawings are cute, and I can completely see why children would like this. I just can't keep going though. Dozens of pages of a kitten figuring out the litter box is just not entertainment for me. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Nov 1, 2018 |
There are certain books you stumble across repeatedly whether they are mentioned by friends or are included in lists or articles online. One manga I kept coming across is a story about a cat that looked absolutely adorable. I've finally read Chi's Sweet Home, Vol. 1 by Konata Konami.

The story follows Chi, a cute little kitten that gets separated from its mother and siblings only to be found by a little boy visiting a park. Chi is taken home by the family even though they aren’t allowed pets in their apartment. What follows are a series of cute happenings and hi-jinks around Chi’s new home.

Now. Let’s get into the good and the pet peeve, shall we?

The idea for this manga is very cute. I love cats. I love cat pictures. I love videos of cats doing funny things. After hearing about this manga for so long I jumped at the chance to read it. Chi is adorable, and the story heartwarming. It’s light, fluffy, and doesn’t have a whole lot overarching plot line. But that’s alright. It’s just not that sort of story. It’s episodic in nature, fun, and fluffy.

Chi gets into the sort of antics that you’d expect of a kitten. We see the kitten do kitten things and the family that takes her in go from bemused to exasperate. Both Chi’s behavior and the behavior of her humans are very true to life, which adds a lot to the manga.

The thing that bothers me the most about this manga is that it was flopped. Flopping, for those who don’t recognize the word, is when a publisher takes a manga that is normally read back to front and left to right flips the entire work so that its read the way we normally see in the US. This is unnecessary at best. Simply put, I don’t like it when the publisher assumes readers are morons who can’t figure out how to read a handful of dialogue bubbles in the correct order. I dislike the fact that the mangaka’s artwork was altered even more.

Aside from backwards, ancient practices the rest of the western manga industry left behind more than a decade ago, I have some issues with the dialogue. The manga is told from Chi’s point of view. Being a kitten, Chi talks in baby speak. At first this was very cute. It really got across just how young Chi was and how ignorant to the world she is. However, it did start to grate a bit on one’s nerve as the manga went on.

I do really like the art. It bears no frills, no deep shadowing or intense detail, but the story being told doesn’t call for it. The art itself tells the story perfectly well and could absolutely tell the story perfectly well without the use of any dialogue. I really like this about the manga. It definitely made me want to keep reading despite disliking certain aspects of the story.

I can’t help but feel that Chi’s Sweet Home deserved a better English release. I can’t say that I will be continuing with the series, but if I happen across more copies at the library it is possible. Ah well, I suppose I can’t adore everything. Still, if you’re looking for something cute and heartwarming this definitely the sort of manga that will put a smile on your face.

This review originally found on Looking Glass Reads. ( )
  kateprice88 | Jul 19, 2018 |
So sweet and fun, even dudes want to read it ^-^ ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
Excellent for all ages and utterly adorable. A little lost kitten is adopted by a small family with a young child of their own. A short and sweet read, it is a great pick for people who have never picked up a Graphic Novel/Manga title before. ( )
  LadyBill | Jan 23, 2016 |
Tweet.

《甜甜私房貓》是一本全彩色的貓貓漫畫。故事圍繞小貓貓廖廖在洋平家裡發生的有趣生活,內容溫馨惹笑,不論讀者是否貓迷,也定能看得「甜私私」!成了洋平家寵兒的廖廖,自然得到家人萬千寵愛在一身,但近日於大廈「肆虐」的黑貓,竟走進了廖廖這些安逸的日子裡──一天,黑貓突然「探訪」洋平家,眾人大驚。於是廖廖、洋平和媽媽馬上聯手,合力把這隻像熊的大貓趕走。正當廖廖以為鬆一口氣時,大黑貓竟趁沒有人在家,再從窗口爬了進來。但牠一邊替廖廖整理貓毛,一邊「分享」廖廖的午餐,看來並無惡意。及後,牠們又在花園碰面,黑貓更教懂廖廖吃草和躲避狗隻的方法。另一邊廂,洋平家人想帶廖廖到動物醫院接受防疫注射,怎料被廖廖逃出家外。一直提心吊膽被管理員發現的洋平一家,馬上追了出去,竟看見管理員就在他們家外!正當廖廖要被發現之際,大黑貓竟及時出現「救駕」…!?

Chi is a michievous newborn kitten who, while on a leisurely stroll with her family, finds herself lost. Seperated from the warmth and protection of her mother, feels distraught. Overcome with loneliness she breaks into tears in a large urban park meadow., when she is suddenly rescued by a young boy named Yohei and his mother. The kitty is then quickly and quietly whisked away into the warm and inviting Yamada family apartment...where pets are strictly not permitted.

"Chi is a mischievous newborn kitten who, while on a leisurely stroll with her family, finds herself lost. Overcome with loneliness she breaks into tears in a large park meadow, where she is rescued by a young boy named Yohei and his mother. The little kitty is then quickly and quietly whisked away into the warm and inviting Yamada apartment...where pets are strictly not permitted."--Publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,567,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible