Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Ship of Fools

by Richard Paul Russo

7521923,032 (3.52)21
On a ship without a mission ... No one remembers where they came from or where they're going. For hundreds of years, the starship Argonos, home to generations of humans, has wandered throughout the galaxy, searching for other signs of life. Now, a steady, unidentified transmission lures them toward a nearby planet. On a planet without inhabitants ... The colony has vanished. But deep within the planet's steamy jungles, the exploration team find horrible evidence of its fate: a cavernous chamber neatly filled with rows of skeletons, each one hanging on its own hook. On a collision course with the unknown ... Once more, a signal lures the crew of the Argonos. Haunted by what they have seen, they have no choice but to follow - deep into space, where an alien mystery waits.… (more)

Spaceship drifting through space for centuries encounters alien spacecraft and barely escapes to a nearby planet.
  JohnLavik | Mar 29, 2020 |
No one remembers where they came from or where they're going. For hundreds of years, the starship Argonos, home to generations of humans, has wandered throughout the galaxy, searching for other signs of life. Now, a steady, unidentified transmission lures them toward a nearby planet, where remnants of shocking brutality will send the ship reeling into deep space-and into a haunting alien mystery.
I read this as part of a November Ship Them Fools read hosted by Red Star Reviews. Horror is a new genre for me, so one set in space seemed just my sort.
This was creepy - less because of the monster (who is alluded to more than shown) but creepy because of the characters and the volatile nature of humans when we are afraid. Often, it was the characters who scared me more than the monster. The idea of being trapped on the Argonos for generations, the unknown, the inability to escape, the darkness inside the people who live there – that is the true terror to me.
Russo did an excellent job of creating a creepy, suspenseful world. ( )
  empress8411 | Dec 3, 2016 |
The starship Argonos is wandering through space, generations of crews manning the ship with no idea where they are headed or where they’ve come from. After finding an island whose colony has met a gruesome fate, the ship receives a signal from an alien ship that they can’t seem to resist.

LibraryThing is telling me I’ve had this book in my library since March of 2012, so I’ve owned it for at least four and a half years now (assuming I logged it right after purchase, which I’m not certain I did back then). Damn! I’m slightly ashamed to admit that Ship of Fools is probably not alone in this category.

At any rate, I finally picked this up thanks to a readalong and I’m so glad I did! The idea of a wandering ship with a crew that has no idea of what their purpose is or when they might be able to colonize, scares the shit out of me, but in the best way. Thinking about being stuck on a ship, even one as large as the Argonos seemed, makes me feel helpless, but it’s exciting to read about because it’s not happening to me.

This is primarily a plot-driven novel, though I did like our main character and I think he showed some growth and gave enough hints about his past to keep me satisfied. Plus, the main draw for me was finding out what happened to the colony and what the hell was going on with the ship they discovered. I also enjoyed one character’s perspective on religion – I didn’t really agree with her view, however it was well spoken and gave me something to think about (which I do enjoy now and then.)

My only real complaint is that the book ended and I still had questions – I want to know all the things! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Nov 21, 2016 |
Why did this win the PKD award? It was just mediocre. I mean really, the characters... I could care less about them. There was a midget..a smart midget who makes up for his short stature with tact. Sounds like Game of Thrones to me. There's only room for one of those midget archetypes in the literary world. The whole thing was very anti climactic. I won't say what you never get to figure out, but it's pretty major. I was praying the whole time that all the sub par unlikable characters get sucked into space, or eat one another... anything to save the torture of this book. The beginning was good... then it plunged into more of the same bad writing. It might have been better if it wasn't in the first person. A huge disappointment, I had to push myself through the end of it. I guess they give out the PKD award to just anyone these days... which is a shame, because Philip K Dick is a my hero. Oh well. ( )
  Stmurdock | Jul 17, 2016 |
Great book. Very atmospheric and suspenseful. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |

Richard Paul Russoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Candace
All my love
We had not made landfall in more than fourteen years.
a/k/a Unto Leviathan in the UK
Ship of Fools in US

Le Bélial

An edition of this book was published by Le Bélial.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,310,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible