Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee

Artichoke's Heart

by Suzanne Supplee

274None41,473 (3.96)8
    Life in the Fat Lane by Cherie Bennett (meggyweg)
    Fat Cat by Robin Brande (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another great story about a teen girl's weight loss -- and ultimate transformation. Very moving!
    The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler (foggidawn)
    Big Fat Manifesto by Susan Vaught (Anonymous user)

This was a fantastic read.Rose was a main character that you could definitely relate to.She had the best of both worlds,by being sarcastic and funny,to somebody who was kind and compelling. The other characters of the book were great too.The author was able to make Rose somebody you could root for every page,with not only her weight loss,but how she handled her daily life. ( )
  sallyburger1 | Dec 10, 2012 |
It's not so easy being Rosemary Goode and tipping the scales at almost two hundred pounds. After a spectacularly disastrous Christmas break when the scale reaches an all-time high-Rosemary realizes that things need to change. (A certain basketball player, Kyle Cox, might have something to do with it.)
  MichelePatrick | Jul 5, 2012 |
Artichoke's Heart had just the right mixture to make this an enjoyable read. A main character that you liked and hoped the best for, a life for the main character that although not perfect, still had plenty of positives, and a happy ending! ( )
  ShawnaF | Nov 18, 2011 |
It’s been a long time since I’ve read some good high school fiction. Artichoke’s Heart was just what I needed. Rosemary Goode is just trying to survive high school. She tries not to get noticed, and comforts herself with food. When one of her mom’s beauty shop clients draws attention to Rosemary’s growing weight, Rosemary knows she needs to make a change, and for the first time in her life, she wants to make a change too.

Artichoke’s Heart has everything–underdog heroine to cheer for, perky cheerleaders to hate, cute “boy next door,” a little drama, a little romance, and a plot that makes you believe that if you had to do high school all over again, just maybe, it could be better. ( )
  rapikk | Oct 14, 2011 |
Book talk:
It's not that Rosie is an ungrateful, materialistic 15 year-old. In fact, I would bet most girls her age, given the same gifts as Rosie, would think this was the year that Christmas sucked the most. Her mom did spend $700 on her, but now she has a treadmill in her bedroom to further remind her that she is fat. And like Rosie will tell anyone willing to listen (and there aren't many), "I don't walk three blocks when I actually WANT to get somewhere, much less run three miles on a strip of black rubber only to end up where I started out in the first place." Then her meddling aunt Mary gave her "two stupid diet books" and tickets for the three of them to go to the "Healing the Fat Girl Within" conference. Talk about a waste of $150! Her mother refuses to take her side in the battles against nosy Aunt Mary because, as she puts it, "She means well."
With no friends at school to turn to, Rosie finds comfort in the "secret lovers" hidden away in her room, actually, stashed under her bed: Mr. Hershey, Mr. Reeses, and Mr. M&M. When she is not working at her mother's beauty salon, she is suffocating her misery with food. What could make life worse for Rosie? The cruel taunts by the popular girls in the Bluebird Club? Having a crush on the star of all the high school athletic teams and knowing he could never like you? No, it would have to be finding out your mom has cancer. Sound depressing? Nope! Rosemary is funny, smart, sincere, and the kind of girl that would make a great friend, AND, yes, girlfriend too! ( )
  lnommay | Jul 26, 2011 |
But a Book is only the Heart's Portrait -- every Page a Pulse. --Emily Dickinson
This book is dedicated to my mother, Donna Sue Demastus Gibson (1939-2004), for her life lessons in faith, hope, and God's love, and to my husband, Scott.
Mother spent $700 on a treadmill "from Santa" that I will never use.
The scoreboard flashed. It struck me then that people did this every Friday night. While I was home with my head in a bag of peanut butter cups, the world went right on turning. Without me. I thought of Aunt Mary's mantra: Don't waste your youth being fat.

It?s not so easy being Rosemary Goode and tipping the scales at almost two hundred pounds? especially when your mother runs the most successful (and gossipiest!) beauty shop in town. After a spectacularly disastrous Christmas break when the scale reaches an all-time high?Rosemary realizes that things need to change. (A certain basketball player, Kyle Cox, might have something to do with it.) So begins a powerful year of transformation and a journey toward self-discovery that surprisingly has little to do with the physical, and more to do with an honest look at how Rosemary feels about herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:14 -0400)

When she is almost sixteen years old, Rosemary decides she is sick of being overweight, mocked at school and at Heavenly Hair--her mother's beauty salon--and feeling out of control, and as she slowly loses weight, she realizes that she is able to cope with her mother's cancer, having a boyfriend for the first time, and discovering that other people's lives are not as perfect as they seem from the outside.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible