Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee

Artichoke's Heart

by Suzanne Supplee

Life in the Fat Lane by Cherie Bennett (meggyweg)
    Fat Cat by Robin Brande (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another great story about a teen girl's weight loss -- and ultimate transformation. Very moving!
    The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler (foggidawn)
    Big Fat Manifesto by Susan Vaught (Anonymous user)

Artichoke's Heart

Rosemary Goode is an over weight teen. She lives with her Mother who owns the local Hair salon in a small Tennessee town. When she notices Kyle Cox, a basketball player her life starts to change.

Rosemary's problems are true to life. Being overweight, the struggles she goes through at school, at home, and trying to fit in. I liked Rosemary, she is sarcastic, snarky, and has a great sense of humor.

Kyle is very likable as well. He is not the typical (stereotypical "jock"), and I really like that quality in him. The relationship between Rosemary's Mother and (her) Aunt is also one that is true to life.

Suzanne Supplee knows how to grab the readers attention, hitting real life problem with accurate details. The story flowed perfectly, the characters are well developed and the plot is true to life.

I feel that Artichoke's Heart is perfect for young adults (as well as adult) readers. There is a very good message in this story, it is not all about losing weight, it is also about, self evaluation, self worth, family and rediscovery.

Fantastic. I loved it. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Mar 11, 2016 |
Cool! Inspirational ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
This was a fantastic read.Rose was a main character that you could definitely relate to.She had the best of both worlds,by being sarcastic and funny,to somebody who was kind and compelling. The other characters of the book were great too.The author was able to make Rose somebody you could root for every page,with not only her weight loss,but how she handled her daily life. ( )
  sallyburger1 | Dec 10, 2012 |
It's not so easy being Rosemary Goode and tipping the scales at almost two hundred pounds. After a spectacularly disastrous Christmas break when the scale reaches an all-time high-Rosemary realizes that things need to change. (A certain basketball player, Kyle Cox, might have something to do with it.)
  MichelePatrick | Jul 5, 2012 |
Artichoke's Heart had just the right mixture to make this an enjoyable read. A main character that you liked and hoped the best for, a life for the main character that although not perfect, still had plenty of positives, and a happy ending! ( )
  ShawnaF | Nov 18, 2011 |
But a Book is only the Heart's Portrait -- every Page a Pulse. --Emily Dickinson
This book is dedicated to my mother, Donna Sue Demastus Gibson (1939-2004), for her life lessons in faith, hope, and God's love, and to my husband, Scott.
Mother spent $700 on a treadmill "from Santa" that I will never use.
The scoreboard flashed. It struck me then that people did this every Friday night. While I was home with my head in a bag of peanut butter cups, the world went right on turning. Without me. I thought of Aunt Mary's mantra: Don't waste your youth being fat.

It?s not so easy being Rosemary Goode and tipping the scales at almost two hundred pounds? especially when your mother runs the most successful (and gossipiest!) beauty shop in town. After a spectacularly disastrous Christmas break when the scale reaches an all-time high?Rosemary realizes that things need to change. (A certain basketball player, Kyle Cox, might have something to do with it.) So begins a powerful year of transformation and a journey toward self-discovery that surprisingly has little to do with the physical, and more to do with an honest look at how Rosemary feels about herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

When she is almost sixteen years old, Rosemary decides she is sick of being overweight, mocked at school and at Heavenly Hair--her mother's beauty salon--and feeling out of control, and as she slowly loses weight, she realizes that she is able to cope with her mother's cancer, having a boyfriend for the first time, and discovering that other people's lives are not as perfect as they seem from the outside.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,899,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible