What's So Amazing About Grace? (1997)

by Philip Yancey

In 1987, an IRA bomb buried Gordon Wilson and his twenty-year-old daughter beneath five feet of rubble. Gordon alone survived. And forgave. He said of the bombers, " I have lost my daughter, but I bear no grudge . . . I shall pray, tonight and every night, that God will forgive them." His words caught the media's ears -- and out of one man's grief, the world got a glimpse of grace. Grace is the church's great distinctive. It's the one thing the world cannot duplicate, and the one thing it craves above all else -- for only grace can bring hope and transformation to a jaded world. In What's So Amazing About Grace? award-winning author Philip Yancey explores grace at street level. If grace is God's love for the undeserving, he asks, then what does it look like in action? And if Christians are its sole dispensers, then how are we doing at lavishing grace on a world that knows far more of cruelty and unforgiveness than it does of mercy? Yancey sets grace in the midst of life's stark images, tests its mettle against horrific "ungrace." Can grace survive in the midst of such atrocities as the Nazi holocaust? Can it triumph over the brutality of the Ku Klux Klan? Should any grace at all be shown to the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer, who killed and cannibalized seventeen young men? Grace does not excuse sin, says Yancey, but it treasures the sinner. True grace is shocking, scandalous. It shakes our conventions with its insistence on getting close to sinners and touching them with mercy and hope. It forgives the unfaithful spouse, the racist, the child abuser. It loves today's AIDS-ridden addict as much as the tax collector of Jesus' day. In his most personal and provocative book ever, Yancey offers compelling, true portraits of grace's life-changing power. He searches for its presence in his own life and in the church. He asks, How can Christians contend graciously with moral issues that threaten all they hold dear? And he challenges us to become living answers to a world that desperately wants to know, What's So Amazing About Grace?… (more)

我们常常歌唱恩典,谈论恩典,但是很少有人去思考、去探究,到底什么才是恩典——这一使基督教区别于其他宗教的最核心的观念。而本该散发恩典的基督徒和教会,却常常陷入“无恩”里面,无法自救,无力在日常生活中展现它呢?

杨腓力重申圣经立场,并从社会、政治、教会、个人多个事例中分析反思,力指这个世界对恩典的渴求以及恩典的缺乏。他带领我们探求恩典的真相:恩典意即我们不能做任何事叫上帝爱我们更多一些,也不能做任何事叫他爱我们更少一些。恩典是我们这个世界不配有的礼物,也是这个无恩世界中硕果仅存的好词,更是每个人内心最深的渴慕。

本书保持了杨腓力一贯的写作风格:以某个主题为主线,大量的故事和事例,叩问个人内心,反思教会立场;全书结构相对松散,语言极富感染力。杨腓力的层层剖析,逼迫人人反省自己,无处可逃——这也是杨腓力的价值所在。

《恩典多奇异》是杨腓力的代表作,也是他最重要、最畅销的作品之一。

19点点绿畦236
20万有引力与恩典248
致谢262
  CCCClibrary | Dec 13, 2021 |
Excellent book exploring what's so amazing about grace. And how often the opposite - ungrace - is shown ( )
  cbinstead | Aug 13, 2020 |
“I loved this book, which I read some years ago when our Homegroup studied it. The inspiring examples of Grace , included in this easy- to- read book have remained in my mind. To show Grace (undeserved kindness) has become one of the “spiritual disciplines ?“ I aspire to in my life. I have read that Grace is something offered by no other religion except Christianity, and something that should make Christians unique.
Highly recommended.” Penny
  stbart | May 13, 2020 |
"I loved this book, which I read some years ago when our Homegroup studied it. The inspiring examples of Grace , included in this easy- to- read book have remained in my mind. To show Grace (undeserved kindness) has become one of the “spiritual disciplines ?“ I aspire to in my life. I have read that Grace is something offered by no other religion except Christianity, and something that should make Christians unique.
Highly recommended.”

Penny Fuelling
  stbart | Feb 20, 2020 |
This book was more enjoyable than that of Dr. Schaeffer. This Philip Yancey tells us in a more hospitable way that Grace is the way to know God. Which is really a nice thought. I found the stories to be very heartwarming and ... well, not exactly relatable, but understandable.

Throughout he tells stories of his growing up in a Christian Fundamentalist sect and being against desegregation and stuff, but that didn't really bother me, since I can understand the culture of the time. Stuff with people hating others really bothers him, and he seems like an interesting person to meet overall. He did meet with President Bill Clinton, and he received horrible letters from so-called Christians about the article he wrote about it in response. This was mostly because of Clinton's stance on abortion and homosexuality. I was far too young to care during Clinton's administration so I kind of forgot all of that.

Yancey also talks about how living a life of grace automatically makes you a better person, since if you love God, you will go and want to please him or something. All in all, this book was rather thought provoking and pretty well written. It didn't change my mind, but it did remind me of some things from back when I was a child. I mean, this Philip Yancey also seems to believe that Morality stems from God, so I don't really know what to say to that.

Four out of five stars from me, and I hope to read something like it again. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I know nothing, except what everyone knows---if there when Grace dances, I should dance. -W.H. Auden
I told a story in my book The Jesus I Never Knew, a true story that long afterward continued to haunt me.
"What good is a street that doesn't lead to a church?"

Zondervan

3 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310245656, 0310213274, 0310249473

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,314,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible