Transgender History by Susan Stryker

Transgender History (2008)

by Susan Stryker

Good 101 text but not quite what I was looking for. Saw this recently as a recommendation for a good foundation text of the history of transgender people and their history in the United States and as it was also a "quick" read it seemed like it would be a good text to add as a "general" book for knowledge.

And that's what it is. Stryker provides an overview of various people, groups, organizations, etc. in the history of transgender people in the US. Some of it was quite fascinating: the laws that were actually enacted that prevented people from dressing "inappropriately" (cross-dressing) to remembering various individuals and the role of certain events (the effects of wars, the Stonewall Riots, AIDS, etc.) and how it affected the transgender community.

While the information was useful, some of the criticisms are on target. It's a relatively short book so I felt it was more of a list of people and organizations and groups but I found it difficult to grasp the big picture. It is focused on a relatively narrow subject (transgender people in the US). Some reviewers found it very "basic" (as it is also from 2008 I also couldn't help but agree it already feels a bit dated). As someone else wrote, perhaps this is a subject that I as a reader would personally find it more helpful if I read biographies (I liked Janet Mock's 'Redefining Realness' a lot) rather than a general history.

But I'm glad it was available at the library for me to borrow. I think this is a case where this is more of a primer text and it would be helpful to have other sources to supplement this one. So I'd recommend Mock's book as stated above and also thought '"You're in the Wrong Bathroom!": And 20 Other Myths and Misconceptions About Transgender and Gender-Nonconforming People' was also quite helpful too. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Well written and fascinating. I learned some things about the history of transgenderism that I had never heard before. Notably, cooperation among gay and lesbian advocates and transgendered individuals, until very recently was poor. Feminists also have been deeply split in their support for the transgender community, some adamantly support the belief that transgenderism is merely a social/moral issue and should not be tolerated. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
This is an interesting history of transgender rights. I think the most useful information I got out of it was an understanding of the relationships between various groups of people and various rights movements: how drag, gay, and feminist communities interact with the trans community. There are a lot of complex issues involved, and this book gave me a good understanding of why various groups do and do not support trans rights. ( )
  Gwendydd | Jan 19, 2017 |
I wrote a review and published it here: http://wp.me/p382tY-mG
Check it out! ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |
This book is a really great, introductory history to transgender issues and activism in the US. As with most of the Seal Studies books, it is probably not meant for people who are looking for a very detailed, nuanced look at transgender history, but it provides a stepping stone for the novice. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |
This book is dedicated to all the trans people who lived the lives that made the history I've outlined here, and to the community activists, too numerous to mention, who continue to advance the cause of social justice for transgender people everywhere.
Because "transgender" is a word that has come into widespread use only in the past couple of decades, its meanings are still under construction.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158005224X, Paperback)

Covering American transgender history from the mid-twentieth century to today, Transgender History takes a chronological approach to the subject of transgender history, with each chapter covering major movements, writings, and events. Chapters cover the transsexual and transvestite communities in the years following World War II; trans radicalism and social change, which spanned from 1966 with the publication of The Transsexual Phenomenon, and lasted through the early 1970s; the mid-’70s to 1990—the era of identity politics and the changes witnessed in trans circles through these years; and the gender issues witnessed through the ’90s and ’00s.

Transgender History includes informative sidebars highlighting quotes from major texts and speeches in transgender history and brief biographies of key players, plus excerpts from transgender memoirs and discussion of treatments of transgenderism in popular culture.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:23 -0400)

From the Publisher: Transgender History covers American transgender history from the mid-twentieth century to today. From the transsexual and transvestite communities in the years following "World War II to trans radicalism and social change in the '60s and '70s to the gender issues witnessed throughout the '90s and '00s, this introductory text will give you a foundation for understanding the developments, changes, strides, and setbacks of trans studies and the trans community in the United States.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible