Rope Burns: Stories from the Corner (2000)

by F. X. Toole

"In this remarkable collection . . . the spirit of Hemingway lives on." --The Wall Street Journal   F. X. Toole knew boxing. Between bouts, he wrote, and two years before his death he published this collection of stories, giving readers an unprecedented look at the gritty life around the ring.   He tells of a cutman with a sweet tooth, young fighters with dreams of celebrity, and a talented boxer who goes to Atlantic City for his biggest bout, only to be humiliated by the prejudices of a callous promoter. In "Million $$$ Baby," the inspiration for the Oscar-winning Clint Eastwood film, an aged trainer takes on a female fighter, guiding her through disappointment, pain, and tragedy. And in "Rope Burns," Toole realizes his epic vision, showing that even the purest fighter can succumb to the pressures of the world outside the sport. Throughout these stories, boxing's violence is redeemed by the respect these men and women share, as they strap on gloves and prepare their bodies for the ultimate test.   This ebook features an illustrated biography of F. X. Toole including rare images and never-before-seen documents from the author's estate.… (more)

English (5)  French (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (8)
Rope Burns: Stories from the Cornerby F X Toole This is the book that contains the short stories Million Dollar Baby, from which the Oscar-winning movie was made, along with another short story, Frozen Water. The title novella, Rope Burns, is easily the most violent tale I have every read. If it was made into a movie, only Quentin Tarentino would be able to direct it. This book is not for everyone. Toole is articulate and well-spoken; the introduction, Member of the Fancy, had me at the proper use of pronouns. However, the stories are written in the jargon of the sweet science and the argot of the street, sometimes excessively vulgar as in Rope Burns, which is set in South LA at the time of the Rodney King riots. F X Toole is the pen name of Jerry Boyd, who worked in professional boxing for most of his life. His first book, Rope Burns: Stories from the Corner was finally published in 2000, when he was 70 years old. Boyd died in 2002. The copy I received from the public library had been renamed Million Dollar Baby. ( )
  Patricia_Winters | Jan 9, 2018 |
Million Dollar Baby was super good. I think this is a deffinantly good boook, for women and men. It gives super good details, and kept me on the edge. ( )
1 vote BiancaCelia11 | Sep 24, 2009 |
i hate boxing. my guy likes boxing. he didn't like this book. i liked it. there were lots of details about boxing that i knew nothing about. the writer's catholicism is the only thing i didn't like. i can't believe that people still believe this nonsense. ( )
  mahallett | Jul 19, 2009 |
Intense, primal, engrossing fiction. The language seems so real and the stories so raw that even though I am not a fan of boxing at all, I was totally entralled and enraptured of this collection of short stories, which includes the story that was the basis of the hit movie "Million Dollar Baby." ( )
1 vote danahlongley | Apr 16, 2007 |
8/25/05 I found this book a bit tiresome as the endings were obvious and easily expected. I have not seen the movie yet but I am surprised at the debate regarding it. I can only assume that it was done with serious revision. ( )
  ngennaro | Jan 4, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,532,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible