Cruel Shoes by Steve Martin

Cruel Shoes (1978)

by Steve Martin

So the good news it is Steve Martin, and this particular copy is from my grandparents - I remember my grandfather re-enacting 'well Ex-cuuuuuuuse me' and being a a 'wild and crazy guy'. I love Steve Martin now, saw him in concert a few years ago with the banjo. I wonder how well the act ages - written down, doesn't seem to be much here. Which of course was the point, all along. Its funny if you feel like laughing. ( )
  kcshankd | Sep 13, 2016 |
Ok, I laughed & laughed. We all know what a wild & crazy guy Steve is, this book proves it…SMILE* ( )
  Madamxtra | Jul 13, 2013 |
I totally get Steve Martin. I think. His humor isn’t always funny, but that’s what makes it so funny sometimes.

When reading Cruel Shoes, a collection of shorts written by Martin, I found myself sometimes laughing out loud, to the concern of my family. Other passages were so funny that they warranted non-laughter. Still others were unfunny, and at this, I had to make a decision as to whether I should laugh anyway or not, just in case somebody saw me reading the book, not laughing, and wondering “Does he even get it?”

Steve Martin is quite a character: a musician, a writer, and actor, and often, all three at once. He can sputter sheer gibberish for 30 minutes and make it funny. While other comedians may try this as well, it typically fails. I think the key differences is that we KNOW that Martin is intelligent. He has a track record. With the other comedians, we wonder if they’re just “special.”

Nevertheless, Martin shows off his skill with the pen in this collection, and his skill compares to his mastery of acting, or even of banjo playing. Ultimately, if you enjoy his work, for whatever media that may be, you may also enjoy this little volume. ( )
  aethercowboy | Dec 28, 2012 |
Brilliant in its subtle absurdity, Cruel Shoes is a comedic tour de force. My parents had a copy when I was growing up (I actually think that the copy I have was theirs), and I always loved to thumb through and read a story every so often.

I am particularly fond of the title story, and "She had the Jugs." Soup folding is good, too. They are all short, to the point, and done at a point in Martin's career when he wasn't yet TOO full of himself.
  grady.cameron | Sep 17, 2007 |
You are walking down a country road.

Martin's extravagant sense of wit marks this collection of previously unreleased short pieces introducing such potential classics as "Women without Bones," "How to Fold Soup," and "Dogs in My Nose."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,172,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible