A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E.…

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (2008)

by Thomas E. Sniegoski

The Naming Of The Beasts by Mike Carey (mamaove)
    mamaove: Urban Fantasy genre
    Dog Days by John Levitt (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: While quite different in tone, both of these books feature supernatural male characters with a dog in a strong supporting role.

A clever but respectful blending of Christian theology and classic paranormal fantasy. Sniegoski's theology is interesting but palatable, but then again I'm no theology major. God is often mysterious and difficult to understand, and the author walks the line between faith and denial well. My favorite bit of theology, if you can call it that, is that the primary difference between angels and humanity is that humanity alone can defy God without penalty in this life. If angels defy God, there is only punishment and exile. An interesting viewpoint on the 'divine spark' in human beings. ( )
  RecklessReader | Jan 24, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this; think Supernatural (TV Show) with a mix of Diablo III in it, but still very original in its own right. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
This book by Sniegoski is a very creative one. The main character is an angel who has taken human form and has made friends, even a wife, of humans. He has lived for a long time and that has created a problem in the sense that his wife is dying--however she can't die because the angel Death has left heaven for earth to live as a human also. Various angels and mean entities vie for the coming apocalypse or return of the angel Death to his work. Creative, interesting, compelling. Received through Goodreads Giveaway and thankful.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me About the United Methodist Church" ( )
  whoizme8 | Dec 13, 2015 |
This is the first book that I've officially read by this author, but it isn't my first encounter either. I remember my attention being caught when reading Mean Streets. I remember now why I started looking because of the dog character Marlowe. He is a natural dog, not altered, no enhancements. Pretty funny dialogue between him and the main character.
Another thing that caught my attention was the excellent writing structure, the attention to detail, and the most likely amount of biblical research done to give us this plot.
I usually don't like to read anything of the like, just imagine my surprise.
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Tightly focused and deftly handled, this adult debut from YA and comic book author Sniegoski (The Fallen) covers familiar ground in entertaining new ways. The angel Remiel wanders the Earth in human form as private investigator Remy Chandler, experiencing the mortal life while indulging his fondness for the trappings of noir. When the Angel of Death vanishes, Heaven hires Chandler to find him as well as a missing set of scrolls that could bring about the apocalypse. Sniegoski's choice to frame this high concept with a straight noir detective tale grounds the world for the reader and highlights the mystical elements. Chandler's dog, Marlowe, written with a humorous but heartfelt voice, shows off Chandler's ability to talk to animals and provides some charming comic relief. Fans of urban fantasy and classic detective stories will enjoy this smart and playful story.
added by cmwilson101 | editPublisher's Weekly

For LeeAnne
It was an unusually warm mid-September day in Boston.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462599, Mass Market Paperback)

Boston PI Remy Chandler is no ordinary man. He’s an angel who chose to renounce heaven and live on earth. So he’s perfect for the job of finding the Angel of Death, who has gone missing. But what at first seems to be about tracing a missing person turns out to involve much more—a conspiracy that has as its goal the destruction of the human race. And only Remy Chandler can stop it...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:56 -0400)

Generations ago, angel Remiel chose to renounce heaven and live on Earth. He found a place among ordinary humans by converting himself into Boston P.I. Remy Chandler, but he can never tell anyone who he was or that he still has angelic powers. Remy can will himself invisible, speak and understand any foreign language (including any animal language), and hear the thoughts of others. All these secret powers come in handy for a private investigator, especially when the Angel of Death goes missing and he?s assigned to find him. As he gets deeper into the investigation, he realizes this is not a missing persons case but a conspiracy to destroy the human race and only Remy has the powers to stop the forces of evil.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,107,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible