Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of…

Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins Of The Internet (1996)

by Katie Hafner, Matthew Lyon (Author)

Recently added byvesca, private library, roger.poole, ccnystrom, fogus, GwenH, thomas_misa, AmandaMoira, Lenore_Young

we discussed this book in class tonight, and are moving on to other topics. I I think I'm going to need to come back to this book when I have a slower time to read it... I had to skim for the main points and didn't really get to dig in the way I might have wanted to. I do like that this was a character-driven portrayal of the start of the Internet. Which is easy to take for granted.
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Awesome history of the invention of Internet up to about 1989. It probably will appeal more to the engineer as it requires some level of conceptual background about the technology, but wow what a great story. I knew some of it in bits and pieces through legends passed around but having it in a chronological narrative everything now fits in place. Although this book was first published in 1996, I read it for the first time in 2014 almost 20 years later and it hasn't lost much, this is a classic history. ( )
  Stbalbach | Feb 8, 2014 |

Katie Hafnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyon, MatthewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nelson, Mark DouglasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684832674, Paperback)

Considering that the history of the Internet is perhaps better documented internally than any other technological construct, it is remarkable how shadowy its origins have been to most people, including die-hard Net-denizens!

At last, Hafner and Lyon have written a well-researched story of the origins of the Internet substantiated by extensive interviews with its creators who delve into many interesting details such as the controversy surrounding the adoption of our now beloved "@" sign as the separator of usernames and machine addresses. Essential reading for anyone interested in the past -- and the future -- of the Net specifically, and telecommunications generally.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:57 -0400)

Katie Hafner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Katie Hafner chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 12, 2013 to Aug 16, 2013. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,323,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible