When Will There Be Good News? (2008)

by Kate Atkinson

Series: Jackson Brodie (3)

The author of One Good Turn presents a mystery of suspense involving the unexpected intersection of three lives, including a woman whose life had been shattered thirty years earlier, an ex-detective on a crowded train, and a teenage girl who is called upon to test her preparedness.
    Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson (KayCliff)
    What Hetty Did: Life and Letters by J. L. Carr (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Katy and Hetty seem to be two of a kind.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)

English (204)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (211)
What I learned from this book is that people from Glasgow are called Glaswegians (had no idea about that one!) and that I really like Kate Atkinson's style. ( )
  jlweiss | Apr 23, 2021 |
Regina “Reggie” Chase, a sixteen year old orphan who looks like she’s twelve, is delighted with her new job as Doctor Joanna Hunter’s mother’s helper. Dr. Hunter is so positive and friendly that it’s a pleasure to go to work, much better than her own flat in Edinburgh; for one thing she’s doesn’t have to put up with the occasional visits of her obnoxious brother Billy, a petty criminal with dodgy acquaintances. Then one day when she goes to work, she’s met by Mr. Hunter, a man with some dodgy acquaintances of his own, who says she’s gone to visit a sick aunt and won’t be back for a while. As the days go on with no word from Dr. Hunter, Reggie becomes more and more suspicious. Then a train wreck unexpectedly brings Reggie in contact with former policeman and private detective Jackson Brodie. ( )
  MaowangVater | Apr 3, 2021 |
This was the best of the Jackson Brodie trilogy but still not great. I loved some of the characters but others, like Louise, I actually disliked and that doesn't bode well for my opinion of the book. I'm glad Ms. Atkinson went onto other genres. ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
Slow start until Jackson appears, finding himself on a train to Edinburgh instead of London, following a flying visit to Hawes in N Yorks. In Edinburgh he meets up with precocious 16 year old Reggie and DI Louise Munroe, a former potential wife. Reggie reappears in the later Big Sky, deservedly as she is a terrific character, who is key to this complex, multifaceted plot. ( )
  edwardsgt | Dec 21, 2020 |
I cannot describe in words how much I despise this book. It's not even that I'm indifferent to it, I actually just hate it. We had to read this for English A Level and it was the most jarring, longwinded, desperately boring book I've ever had to read.

Just writing this review brings back the physical pain of that dark time in my life. If you like this book then honestly fair enough, but I will never ever understand you. ( )
  Neal_Anderson | Jun 11, 2020 |
Fact: Atkinson doesn’t write typical crime novels, but literary hybrids. ... Despite an arresting first chapter, what seems of most interest to Atkinson isn’t the solving of crimes, but the solving of the problem of being alive. ... the absence of sustained suspense begins to fray our connection to the characters. Sensing perhaps that she’s lollygagging, Atkinson sprints for the last 75 pages, delivering a rushed, overly neat ending that, while cleanly tying up the big threads, leaves many questions about the characters and their futures unanswered.

A third appearance for former police investigator and private detective Jackson Brodie in this psychologically astute thriller from Atkinson (One Good Turn, 2006, etc.). ... Like the most riveting BBC mystery, in which understated, deadpan intelligence illuminates characters’ inner lives within a convoluted plot.
added by davidcla | editKirkus Reivews (Sep 24, 2008)

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316154857, 0316037540, 1600244521, 0316012831

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,854,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible