When Will There Be Good News? (2008)

by Kate Atkinson

Series: Jackson Brodie (3)

The author of One Good Turn presents a mystery of suspense involving the unexpected intersection of three lives, including a woman whose life had been shattered thirty years earlier, an ex-detective on a crowded train, and a teenage girl who is called upon to test her preparedness.
    Transcription by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson (KayCliff)
    What Hetty Did: Life and Letters by J. L. Carr (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Katy and Hetty seem to be two of a kind.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)

English (212)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (220)
Case Histories was great. One Good Turn was fine. This one is just okay.
Same as in the previous books the plot here basically exists and moves along on consequences happenning, but as it's already a third book like that it's sort of loses credibility.
I gotta say I like Louise Monroe very much - with all her misanthropy and commitment issues, but I don't think I'll be reading more of this series even for her. ( )
  alissee | Dec 8, 2021 |
Well written storybased on mixed-up identities following a train crash ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Jackson Brodie, the hard-luck, accident-prone protagonist, is fond of saying that a coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen. And indeed, there are enough coincidences in this, the third of Atkinson’s detective yarns, to make any Dickens novel seem like a random assemblage of haphazard occurrences.
In a sense, this trait helps Atkinson tell an intricate, action-filled tale involving multiple narrative strands with a small cast of characters. And what characters! Louise Munroe, Edinburgh detective chief inspector, Brodie’s counterpart in every way, returns from the previous book in the series. In addition, a new character, Reggie Chase, finds herself at the nexus of many of the said coincidences. I hope she returns in the next book. What about Joanna Hunter, supreme survivor? Even lesser characters are memorable, for instance, Reggie’s tutor, Ms. MacDonald, who drives “in the way an excitable and short-sighted chimpanzee might have done.”
Atkinson never gets around to transforming some of the coincidences into explanations, but I didn’t care. This was a page-turner. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Nov 13, 2021 |
(54) Another whimsical installment in Atkinson's Jackson Brodie mystery series - this one read back to back with 'One Good Turn.' Both books are running together a bit. It seems a theme - several unconnected storylines that eventually come together. In this one Jackson (now estranged from Julia) and the policewoman he met in the last novel, Louise, are drawn into a missing persons case. A doctor who was a childhood survivor of the massacre of her family has gone missing on the very day the perpetrator has been released from prison. But what is this? - there is also a deadly train crash, an orphan teen, and lots of spouses who don't seem to be behaving as one would expect. It is crazy and charming (charming, a murder mystery?) and all works out in the end.

I really enjoy these novels while I am reading them but somehow they fall just slightly short of the mark as they finish. Just a bit twee. But the writing is excellent and atmospheric. I thought the train crash was very well done and Ms McNaughton and her denouement were very well-drawn. I did not like the whole thing with Louise and Jackson all of a sudden having spouses - it felt very contrived and formulaic. But the book was just what I needed at a busy time. Such a well-written escape as I have pretty well come to expect from Atkinson who has got to be right up there with my favorite writers at this point.

I am not sure I am ready to read the next book in close proximity, but I will definitely keep reading the series. Such fun. ( )
  jhowell | Oct 16, 2021 |
Review: When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson.

This is a book that is striking and a quality of dark material but the author with her creative way from being dense and depressing and turns into something which is racy and even funny at times without being unjust to her characters. The subject matter is open but there is also a subplot involving Jackson Brodie, a detective from some of the author’s other books officering insight on a more cynical modern world.

There are very believable characters with plenty of twist and turns throughout the book. The story jumps into high gear when Brodie, Louise, Jackson and Reggie wind up traveling in the same car and join forces to make this story intriguing. The setting of this book is mostly in Scotland around Edinburgh with some Glaswegian thugs thrown in to enhance the story.

This is a gripping suspenseful story with fascinating new characters added with the Brodie bunch whose lives and philosophies may be different from one another but each one held their own character roles with Atkinson’s great character development. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Aug 1, 2021 |
Fact: Atkinson doesn’t write typical crime novels, but literary hybrids. ... Despite an arresting first chapter, what seems of most interest to Atkinson isn’t the solving of crimes, but the solving of the problem of being alive. ... the absence of sustained suspense begins to fray our connection to the characters. Sensing perhaps that she’s lollygagging, Atkinson sprints for the last 75 pages, delivering a rushed, overly neat ending that, while cleanly tying up the big threads, leaves many questions about the characters and their futures unanswered.

A third appearance for former police investigator and private detective Jackson Brodie in this psychologically astute thriller from Atkinson (One Good Turn, 2006, etc.). ... Like the most riveting BBC mystery, in which understated, deadpan intelligence illuminates characters’ inner lives within a convoluted plot.
added by davidcla | editKirkus Reivews (Sep 24, 2008)

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.
Peter gave her a pad of paper and a pen and told her to write a note ... She wrote with the Biro, "Please help us. We don't want to die." ... she jammed the pen into his eyeball as hard as she could. It surprised her how far it went in.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316154857, 0316037540, 1600244521, 0316012831

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,974,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible