My Life on a Plate by India Knight

My Life on a Plate (2000)

by India Knight

This novel tells a tried and true (and perhaps somewhat tired) story: the woman who supposedly has it all finds parts of her life to be significantly lacking. Clara Hutt has the home, the husband, and the children. She's always wanted the children, and she and her husband are the best of friends. But, as is the modern woman's dilemma, Clara is worried that her life and her marriage lack passion. And Clara is left with the question of whether she can rightfully expect passion in the long term. Complicating this is the fact that Clara seems to have it so much better than so many of her friends. Her friend Tamsin is miserably single, Naomi's husband is cheating on her with his secretary. Is it reasonable for CLara to want more?

Clearly, this plot is neither innovative nor unusual. Still, the book was enjoyable. Clara and the other characters are well-developed, and have enough quirks so that they defy clear stereotypes. With an engaging twist at the end this was, ultimately, a book I enjoyed. ( )
  lahochstetler | Jan 21, 2013 |
Chick-lit. Unusual for me. Was a bit enjoyable as I like to listen to the way Brits tend to speak with other Brits or in private, very vulgar language...like Bridget Jone's Diary (film). Story was interesting until the very end where it went in a direction I wasn't happy with of course. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Apr 26, 2010 |
Eh. I read this because I was going to a chick lit book discussion at the library. I'm not into chick lit. This book was fine, probably a good example of the genre, fun, easy-to-read, don't have to think about it, sort of just play along. The author/protagonist writes about her plain old life, just the stuff that happens, and her humorous take on things. Why do I care? I don't, but on the other hand, I guess that's the point of chick lit. It's not supposed to be important, it's supposed to be fun, distraction reading. Just that I have other stuff I'd rather read for distractions. ( )
  jopearson56 | May 11, 2008 |
"Elämä on vain ihanaa laulua, yllätysten potpuria ja rakkaus on aina helppoa ja minä olen Romanian Maria." -Dorothy Parker
Äidilleni
Ehkä minun kuuluisi muka sattumalta nähdä kuvajaiseni peilissä tai kaupan ikkunassa jossain kirjan sivulla 50 ja kuvailla ulkomuotoani teille sillä tavalla.

Optioned for film and published in sixteen countries, this British sensation explodes the myth that all people need to be truly happy is love and marriage. Meet thirty-three-year-old Clara Hutt: irreverent, sometimes unkind, always self-deprecating. Clara is a part-time magazine writer with a perpetually mysterious husband and two small boys, and some days she wakes up with the feeling that her life isn't all it should be. Her extended stepfamily is forever making demands; her sons are constantly "murdering each other"; all the other mothers at the school gate are perfectly groomed, but Clara is in her pajama bottoms and her husband's sweater.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:54 -0400)

Optioned for film and published in sixteen countries, this British sensation explodes the myth that all people need to be truly happy is love and marriage. Meet thirty-three-year-old Clara Hutt: irreverent, sometimes unkind, always self-deprecating. Clara is a part-time magazine writer with a perpetually mysterious husband and two small boys. Her extended stepfamily is forever making demands; her sons are constantly "murdering each other" ; all the other mothers at the school gate are perfectly groomed, but Clara is in her pajama bottoms and her husband's sweater. With razor-sharp wit and a healthy dose of insight into married life, India Knight takes readers on a continually entertaining ride through one woman's bumpy search for fulfillment.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,683,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible