Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death by Gyles…

English (15)  French (1)  All languages (16)
I liked this book. It takes place in 1892. It is narrated by Robert Sherard who was a friend of Wilde's and who apparently wrote a biography of Wilde. Some of Wilde's friends includes Arthur Conan Doyle and Bram Stoker. Another character, Charles Brookfield is not really a friend of Wilde - more of a competitor. He was the first actor to play Sherlock Holmes on stage. This is the second book in the series. Wilde has a party and wants to play a game of murder in which is friends all write down the name of someone they would like to murder. The names are drawn out one by one and the group to figure out who wrote down the name. The problem starts when the first few on the list die and Wilde starts investigating.
  taurus27 | May 31, 2018 |
Kinda convoluted. But not uh... intricate or hard to follow. It's just that there are a lot of different "murders" going on and none of them are very interesting. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Another in the series of Oscar Wilde as a detective. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is again in it and also Bram Stoker, Walter Sickert and the Marquess of Queensbury.

During a dinner of the Socrates Club, Wilde proposes a game of Murder with the question of "Who would you kill?" Each attendee writes their choice on a slip of paper which are then drawn randomly and read. All is done in fun and games until the names on that list start turning up dead in the sequence they appear on the list. Who is the murderer? Are the deaths related or are they chance events?

Wilde and the amateur detectives find themselves searching in the realms of politics, theatre and hidden secrets while trying to solve the murders before the next one happens. Relationships and personal histories are revealed in their search for the solutions.

Once again I enjoyed the feeling of being in Victorian London. A not so proper period. The descriptions of the characters and their actions; the scenes of the events all contribute to the enjoyment. There is action and also puzzlement as the pieces of the puzzle start to fit in an order that will give the whole picture. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Aug 23, 2017 |
Oscar Wilde nei panni di Sherlock Holmes è davvero simpatico: in questo secondo lavoro, per fortuna l'autore ci risparmia l'apologia di Oscar accusato-inquisito-condannato ingiustamente.
La rassegna di personaggi dell'epoca lo rende ancora più simpatico, tra Conan Doyle, Bram Stoker e amici vari. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death is the second novel in the Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries, a series of books about Oscar Wilde as a Sherlock-Holmesian detective by Gyles Brandreth.

Plot:
Robert Sherard tells the story of how Oscar Wilde invites a bunch of people to a dinner (among them Arthur Conan Doyle, Bram Stoker, E.W. Hornung, Alfred Douglas aka Bosie, his brother Francis Douglas, and Charles Brookfield), where they play a game of “murder”: every person should name one person they would murder if they got the chance. After the dinner, the people on the list start dying one by one in the exact same sequence. That gives Oscar Wilde a tight time frame to find the murderer among his guests – before his own name comes up.

Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death was an entertaining read and a definite improvement on the first novel. I enjoyed it.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/09/21/oscar-wilde-and-the-ring-of-death-gyles-brandret... ( )
  kalafudra | Oct 13, 2015 |
Would you like to know the great drama of my life? It is that I have put my genius into my life ... I have put only my talent into my works. - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
To Merlin and Emma
It was Sunday 1 May 1892, a cold day, though the sun was bright.
The truth is: I love superstitions, Robert. They are the colour element of thought and imagination. They are the opponents of common sense. Common sense is the enemy of romance. Leave us some unreality. Do not make us offensively sane.
Published in US as "Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder"

"It's 1892 and Oscar Wilde is the toast of London, riding high on the success of his play Lady Windemere's Fan. While celebrating with friends at a dinner he conjures up a game called "murder" that poses the question: Who would you most like to kill? Wilde and friends - including Arthur Conan Doyle and Bram Stoker - write the names of their "victims" on pieces of paper and choose them one by one. After leaving the party, Wilde scoffs at the suggestion that he may have instigated a very dangerous game indeed..." "The very next day, the game takes an all-too-sinister turn when the first "victim" turns up dead. Soon Wilde and his band of amateur detectives must travel through the realms of politics, theatre, and even boxing to unearth whose misguided passions have the potential to become deadly poisons...not only for the perpetrator of the seemingly perfect crimes but also for the trio of detectives investigating them."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible