Princess in Pink by Meg Cabot

Princess in Pink

by Meg Cabot

1,423None5,284 (3.67)8
(6) American (7) Cabot (9) chick lit (27) children (6) diary (31) epistolary (7) family (11) fiction (97) friendship (6) girls (7) high school (14) humor (18) Meg Cabot (20) New York (9) paperback (6) princess (39) Princess Diaries (53) prom (12) read (24) romance (43) royalty (11) series (35) teen (39) teen fiction (13) teen lit (6) to-read (10) YA (57) young adult (74) young adult fiction (18)

This isn’t a bad entry—I had fun with a lot of book five, and there is a sense of Mia growing up and getting out of her shell a bit in this. That said, I do have a lot of problems that start in this book; mainly, Mia and Grandmere’s characterization. While I can accept Grandmere being an exaggeration of royalty—used to getting what she wants, ignoring the demands of others—the whole subplot of her triggering a city-wide restaurant workers’ strike really feels too over-the-top and only serves as Mia’s solution at the end of the book. (And is also never directly resolved, which I have a huge problem with.) Speaking of, I’m not a fan of Mia’s motivation to get to prom with Michael. Throughout the first half, leading up to Mia’s birthday, we see Michael being an awesome boyfriend (why, yes, he was my fictional crush in high school, why do you ask?) going out of his way to do something special for his girlfriend, and Mia’s reaction boils down to “Aww, so sweet. WHY DIDN’T I GET A PROM TICKET?” It kinda lessens the ending of this book, as it’s all about what Mia wants, and not her boyfriend’s. Still, I did enjoy the book, despite my issues with it—I liked Mia being able to stand up and becoming a little more confident in herself, I liked Tina’s development in this book, and it serves as a good closure to the “freshman” books. ( )
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
For being so obsessed with psychological concepts, Mia certainly is shallow and selfish. The more I read these books, the more I'm convinced the only halfway decent characters are Michael, Mr. G. and Grandmere. I liked the ending, though. Way to go Grandmere! ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 9, 2013 |
2011-10-04
  Petit-Enghien | Oct 6, 2011 |
Mia is one of my favorite protaganist. She is shy, but has found out that she is a princess in the first book. This obstacle? Prom. I loved her voice because it is both insightful and humorous. I also (slightly) fell in love with Michael. Lily is also one of my favorite characters - she is one of the funniest characters that I have ever had the pleasure to read about.
Sorry, I had to do my little rant about how absolutely loveable that the characters are. :) ( )
  lyricaltwin | May 6, 2011 |
The fifth in the Princess diaries series. Very light, very fluffy, but I like Mia Thermopolis and her teenage troubles a lot. I keep enjoying the books, even though I could write a scathing and destroying review easily enough. But sometimes you just need a bit of candy. ( )
  mojacobs | Feb 15, 2011 |

In her heart of hearts, Mia has but one wish: an evening spent with Michael in a tux and a corsage on her wrist -- in other words, the PROM. Michael, however, does not seem to share the dream that is the prom. Worse still, a service workers strike (with Grandmère and Lilly at the heart of it and on opposite sides) threatens the very existence of this year's prom. Will the strike end in time? Can Mia talk Michael out of his anti-prom views? Most importantly, will Mia get to wear her pink prom dress?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:56 -0400)

In a series of humorous diary entries, high school freshman (and Genovian Princess) Mia tries to get her reluctant boyfriend to take her to the prom.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible